15 | PRETENTIOUS

I DON'T HAVE A THING FOR MICKEY!

☆︎ AUGUST, 1997 ☆︎

It was the third day of classes at Windsor, and after getting out of their chemistry lab, Indiana, Cici, and Derek waited around on the grass on the main quad for the others to join them. Though they hadn't known each other long, Cici, Derek, and Hallie seemed as if they were going to be in the Woodsboro friend group for a while, as everyone got along so well.

Indiana was lying back on her elbows and peered at Derek through her cheap heart-shaped sunglasses, his appearance altered to be rather pink because of the tint. "Do you always dress like a golfer?" she questioned, eying his red polo shirt and khakis. He was also wearing some expensive-looking loafers.

Derek just let out a laugh and nodded. "Well, I was on the golf team at my school," he informed her. "And lacrosse."

"Ooh, I love watching lacrosse," she said, her smile brightening. "I was so bummed that Woodsboro didn't have a team when I moved there."

"At least they had basketball," Cici said, looking up from the magazine she was flipping through. "Derek, Indy made the Windsor basketball team, so we'll have to go to all the games. I may not be a cheerleader officially, but that will not stop me from shouting for you at the top of my lungs."

"Yeah, Jackson was telling me about both of you being signed," Derek said, nodding. "Are you excited for the season to start in November?"

"Extremely. I'm mega bored now that I don't have band rehearsals," she said with a grin.

"Well, you could think about doing rush week with me," Cici said, shooting Indiana wide, pleading eyes.

Two nights ago, Cici explained that she was thinking about joining a sorority. She wasn't sure which one yet, but recruitment was already starting, and it'd really kick off during the second week of classes.

"Nah, I'm good," she said, shaking her head. Indiana wasn't anti-sorority but she wasn't itching to join one either. "I feel like Hallie could be talked into it. Or maybe she'll do it next semester."

"I'll be doing it," Derek told the girls. "My dad was in Omega Kappa Beta."

"Oh, then you're like guaranteed a spot, Mr. Legacy," Cici told him. She was a little jealous that he wouldn't have to be nervous about wondering where he'd end up or not getting accepted by his first choice.

As Cici and Derek kept talking about their expectations for the recruitment process with Indiana asking clarifying questions every now and then, they were soon joined by Sidney and Jackson, who were coming from their trigonometry class.

"Hey, guys," Sidney greeted softly while taking a seat next to Cici. She smiled at each of them, beginning to pull a few things out of her backpack.

Jackson opted for a less gentle greeting. He let his whole body drop on top of Indiana's body, earning a groan of pain. She tried to shove him off, but he didn't budge.