50 | MOVE ON

[  here it is, the final chapter. and if you haven't read my other books, then you don't understand how amazing it is that I actually finished this fic. my adhd and tism make it incredibly difficult to continue if my hyperfixation switches up mid-writing (which is has I'm very into ted lasso right now and not scream). I came very close to putting this on hold after mickey but I stuck through it and am proud of myself even if the ending is kind of basic

thanks for sticking around, and also I've still got a ton of edits in the tiktok drafts and will keep posting until I run out  ]

☆︎

I DON'T THINK I'D BE ABLE TO GET BACK UP IF I GOT ON ONE KNEE.

☆︎ FEBRUARY 5TH, 2000 ☆︎

It was late when Virginia heard someone coming into her hospital room — or perhaps early, considering the sun was an hour from rising. At first, she figured it was a nurse coming to check her vitals, but the awkward shuffling followed by someone whispering 'dang it' under his breath when he bumped into a chair told her it certainly wasn't the night staff.

She peeled her tired eyes open to see Dewey in all his glory. He had a few bandaged wounds on his head and some gauze sticking out from under the collar of his shirt, but he was up and walking, so Virginia was instantly alert.

"Dew?" she asked in a sleepy tone. "What time is it?"

"Hey, shit, sorry for waking you," he whispered, coming to sit in the chair next to her bed. "It's, uh, it's about four, I think. Just got finished giving statements and getting patched up."

"What happened?" Virginia asked while reaching to cup his face, turning his head slightly to look at the new injuries he'd acquired. "How's Indy?"

"Indy's okay. She's alive," he told her, covering her hand with his own. He removed it and then kissed her knuckles gently. "It... it's all over, Sweetie."

She sat up a little bit better. "They stopped the killer? Just now?"

Dewey nodded and cleared his throat. "At Milton's mansion. Soph is — Sophia is dead," he told her, his eyes watering a bit.

"Shit," she mumbled, her chest feeling tight. Already, she was worried about how Jackson was feeling as well as his parents, who were a few hours away. "Please tell me the son of a bitch that did it is dead and not just locked up."

"Jackson shot Roman, and Indiana took out Luca."

Virginia hadn't been expecting that on top of the news about Sophia. She shook her head in disbelief, not so much caring about the first of the killers. "Luca was one of the killers?" she asked, her voice shaking a bit. "What? No, I mean, no! He and Zay—"