39 | GROWING ON ME

GO AWAY, JANICE.

☆︎ FEBRUARY 2ND, 2000 ☆︎

The ever-so-nosey members of The Woodsboro Killers watched with interest as the detective pulled himself free of Jackson's grip and ran off after their lead singer. And though they weren't part of the band, Dewey and Roman were just as interested over what could've possibly happened in that interrogation room.

"Dude, what was with the threatening act?" Sophia asked her brother, frowning at him. It was rare that Jackson played the strong tough guy act despite his intimidating and muscular frame.

"That's Detective Kincaid," Jackson said, still looking in the direction they disappeared. "Mark Kincaid."

"That's Mark?" Luca asked, his eyes going wide. Then he let out a low whistle. "Yeah, I get it now."

Isaiah rolled his eyes and nudged Luca with his shoulder. "Now is not the time."

"Time for what? What's the big deal?" Dewey asked, feeling a little clueless. The detective had seemed nice enough when he met him earlier.

"Indy and Mark have... a thing," Isaiah told him. "Every time she's in L.A., they get together. Kind of like your and Virginia's thing when she first moved to Woodsboro."

"Just say they're fucking," Sophia sighed. Then she tilted her head. "Well, probably not anymore if he's a cop."

"I'm a cop," Dewey said, letting out an offended scoff. Sophia just looked pointedly at him, not retracting her statement.

"Wow," Luca mused, a little smirk on his face. "She and her sister sure take the term 'fuck the police' really literally."

Jackson curled his lips around his teeth to keep from laughing right in Dewey's face. He also felt that as Indy's best friend, it'd be wrong to laugh at the current situation knowing how angry she likely was given that she was starting to open up to Mark more — he'd simply laugh about it a few years down the road.

"I know I don't know Indy as well as the rest of you," Roman spoke up, "but I'm surprised she ran out of the room just because of that."

"Actually, she probably got pissed and stormed out because they think she's a suspect," Jackson told him, shrugging. "They didn't tell me why they think that, but that Wallace guy asked like a million questions about her."

Luca frowned at that. "But we were at our concert?"

"Oh, I told them that. And I'm sure Indy did. And the rest of you will too," he said, rolling his eyes. "It was so stupid and a big waste of time."

"I'll say," Roman grumbled. "I have to meet with Milton in a few minutes to talk about the next move with the film."

"Are they gonna drop it?" Isaiah asked him, knowing Roman was counting on Stab 3 to finally get his name out there and have people take him more seriously for future projects.