21 | SMOOTH ROASTED

IT IS SO HARD TO SAY NO TO SOMEONE SO DAMN PRETTY.

☆︎ JANUARY, 1998 ☆︎

Cici had officially moved into the Omega Beta Zeta house, and Indiana was convinced it was the worst thing in the entire world. She was the first of all their friends to return to campus from Winter Break, and right away, she and a gaggle of sorority girls moved all her things out of the dorm room. Indiana helped as well but complained the whole time — not about the heavy boxes but about them stealing Cici from her.

All dramatics aside, Indiana did get along with the OBZ girls, and she was always welcome at their house. If anything, they were hoping to recruit her and they weren't very subtle about that. While Indy wasn't even considering the offer, someone else in their friend group was beginning to think about joining Greek life.

"I ended up being on the same flight as Allison Lois," Hallie told them. "Turns out she's from Louisiana too."

Everyone but Sidney and Randy had returned to campus. The two coming from California had the longest drive and were scheduled to return the next day. For now, because it was so cold outside, the group was sitting in a coffee shop, Smooth Roasted, rather than on the main quad.

"She's in a bunch of Sid's theater classes," Derek commented. He'd helped out building sets for A Streetcar Named Desire — a not-so-subtle way to spend more time with Sidney. "And she's friends with that Melanie Murphey that's into Indy."

"She was telling me all about Delta Lambda Zeta," Hallie went on. They all ignored how Mickey raised an eyebrow over Derek's comment. "I'm thinking about meeting a few more of the members. She offered to introduce me."

"The Delta Lambdas?" Cici asked, scoffing. "Why wouldn't you go OBZ?"

"Or one of the NPHCs?" Jackson also questioned. The Delta Lambdas were notoriously known for their parties, so they were surprised that of all the options, that was the one Hallie was showing interest in. Then again, it was only because she happened to spend a prolonged amount of time with Allison.

Hallie just shrugged. "I'm just thinking about it. I mean, spring recruitment is a lot more lowkey than fall semester, so who knows what will happen."

"Are you gonna jump on the roommate abandonment train with Cici and Derek if you do pledge?" Indiana asked, looking at her accusingly. She was perched on Mickey's lap rather than a chair with his arms wrapped tightly around her waist. His chin was resting on her shoulder so that he could see everyone.

Previously, she'd been eyeing a new flyer on the wall claiming that they wanted someone to play music in the coffee shop a few days each week. But as a staunch supporter of not leaving your roommate behind for Greek life, Indiana quickly jumped into the conversation.