17 | LOOKING AT YOU

THINGS THAT ARE BAD CAN ALSO BE GOOD.

☆︎ OCTOBER, 1997 ☆︎

When the month came to an end and the one-year anniversary of the Woodsboro Massacre passed, those from the small California town felt like they could take a deep breath for the first time in weeks. They were all safe and healing, moving on with their lives. There were plenty of other things to worry about like school assignments, basketball practices, theater schedules, and upcoming dates.

Indiana spent an embarrassing amount of time thinking about her date with Mickey — and she wasn't sure if it even counted as a real date or if he just wanted to watch the movie and convince her it was bad. Friday was still two days away, though, so she'd have to wait a little longer to see how it went.

To keep her mind off of it, Jackson, Derek, and Cici were playing a round of basketball with her in the gym. Cici was a cheerleader in high school and never played basketball, but Derek was on her team and the tallest of them all, so that was an advantage against Indy and Jackson. But as Hallie said, they were basically twins, so they were so in sync with each other that it was frustrating for their opponents.

On the bleachers, Randy and Mickey were hanging out and watching them while doing homework. Indiana had extended an invitation for them to join their teams, but Randy didn't want to play and it'd make the teams uneven if Mickey joined in.

Randy was the typical film nerd who hated pretty much all sports but he'd still go to Jackson and Indiana's basketball games in school to support them. And while Mickey was a film nerd too, he was in really great shape with muscular arms and a broad chest — Indiana would know with how often she'd lean against him when watching movies for film theory or on the quad.

Even without joining, Mickey was content to watch Indiana as she played her favorite sport. He was anxious to see her in action on her actual team once the season officially began. Sidney told him that she was much more aggressive and intimidating than she was now as she joked around and tried to jump on Derek to block his shot.

"That's a foul!" Cici shouted, throwing her hands up.

"Do you see a referee, blondie?" Jackson asked as he swooped in and got the ball out of Derek's hands, who was too busy trying to fling Indy off. Then he pivoted and aimed from the three-point line, the basketball sinking in perfectly. "Nothin' but net!"

"Remind me again what that score is now?" Indiana asked while finally sliding off Derek's back.

"Sixteen to nine," the boy grumbled while pushing his sweaty hair back.

"I'm gonna grab some water," Jackson said before jogging over to Mickey and Randy where his bottle was. As he got a mouthful, he noted how Mickey didn't even acknowledge his presence, his eyes staying glued to Indiana as she practiced free throws. "Hey, Rand? Wanna go in for me for a minute while I catch my breath?"