chapter XVIII

"so what is it that you want to  discuss with me?" I asked while staring at the man infront of me, who looked like he had a lot to say but couldn't find the right words.

"I don't know if you will believe me or not but..." He looked down as if trying to find the right words to say
"Haa...we..we are blood related or...in simple words you are a family member of mine"

I felt like i got shot by a lightening. I stared at him in disbelief. Wasn't Penelope a beggar in the game. She had no relatives. And if he really is her relative, why didn't he try to find her in the game.

In the duchy, this little girl suffered from all the ignorance, abuse and mockery, just because she was a peasant, a begger. If... If only this man tried to find her, she wouldn't have suffered this much.

But wait....this is not the game, i am currently in a different manhwa. This guy wasn't mentioned in either the game or the manhwa, his existence is not of a mere extra. Something is not right. Everything is messed up.

"Oww!" Suddenly my forehead sting. He flinked me forehead, god knows why. I couldn't help but glare at him.
'that hurts' i puffed my cheek and glared at him on which he only chuckled.

"What's going on in this small head of yours"  he asked amusingly.
Jeez what a jerk...

"I know it's hard to accept..." He continue to speak but soon paused.
"But you really are my brother's child"

My eyes widened.
His brother's child... Penelope's father was never mentioned in the book, it was said that her mother was a merchant, who died in Empire, leaving young Penelope alone.

"Ca..can you tell me more about it" i really wanted to know more but all of this was to much for me to stand. I need to know more about it.
"Please" i mumbled, looking down on my hands.

I felt a hand on my head, which gently rubbed my hair. He stood before me, staring at me with warmth.

"I am so sorry sweetheart but we don't have that much time right now" he lowered so that his forehead touched mine
"I promise, i will tell you everything very soon. But now is not the time." A small smile formed on his lips and his eyes curved.

"I'll respect your decision of staying with the Agriche. But remember, you are not alone." He said, hugged me so gently, as if he was hugging a baby.

"I will always be here with you. You don't have to worry about anything, i will always be here to protect you" those words left his mouth felt like he was promising these things to himself.

My chest felt so warm. A feeling that i am not alone, a feeling of having a family. I don't want this to disappear, no...never.

No one ever said these words to me in my previous life. It felt so lonely whenever i looked at families loving their children. I often wished to have a family who love me, support me and protect me.
Guess god finally listened to my wishes. I guess in this life i can finally have a family.

Again, my eyes started to get heavy and drowsiness started to come over me.
"We will meet some, little one. Good night, kiddo "
A small peck on my forehead and everything turned dark again.

....

Slowly opening my eyes, i stared at the ceiling. My head was hurting a bit, i guess it was the side effect of mind communication.

Sitting on the bed, i looked outside the window. The sky was turning dark.

Someone knocked at my bedroom's door. It must be the maids, I thought.
They must be here to deliver the dinner.

After taking my permission two maids came in, holding two trays in their hands respectively.

"Place the tray on the table and leave" i said and the maids did as they were told.
I wasn't in the mood to eat anything, my appetite was gone.