chapter 34

As she lay on the cold floor that night, sleep remained elusive and her headache seemed never ending. The images of Dion and Roxanne continued to torment her thoughts and the weight of her tears threatened to drown her in sorrow.

But as the morning sun casts a feeble light into the room, she was startled awake by a gentle nudge. Her pet, Fernis and the dragon. 

As she sat up, her head was pounding.  "Why are you sleeping on the floor, human??" Asked the dragon.

Fernis was licking her fingers, giving her a soft tickling sensation. She wanted to smile and say that it was nothing but she couldn't. She opened her mouth to say something but her voice never came out of her throat.

She couldn't bring herself to smile, she felt numb. Her eyes just stared at the beasts in front of her, without any emotion on her face.

"Human? What's wrong? Why aren't you answering?" The dragon asked again. This time its voice was filled with concern.

She didn't have the strength to stand or to move, so she stayed there on the cold floor without any care of herself. Both the beasts looked over her with a worried expression.

She wasn't responding to them. To them, this Penelope seemed like a stranger, like a person they don't know. They never saw she this way, broken and defeated.

"Nellie!" A voice destroyed the silence of the room. It sounded cheerful, which didn't go with the atmosphere.

His violet eyes, which were shining with excitement vanished as soon as he saw his niece in that state. The lifeless look on her face shooked him to his core.

"Penelope!" He rushed to her side and held her by her shoulders. "Nellie, what happened!? Why are you like this!" He caress her face, checking for any injury.

Penelope looked at her uncle, his hands were warm, unlike the cold floor or her cold body. She wanted more of this warmth. Her eyes closed as she felt the warmth. She didn't know when she fell asleep but the last thing she heard was the voice of her uncle calling her out and the barks of Fernis.

•••

Penelope opened her eyes, she found herself in the magic tower. Fernis and the dragon were sleeping in the bed beside her. It was nearly evening when she woke up. 

She felt better, physically. But right now her mind was a mess. She wanted to cry out but she held it back. 

"Nellie" her uncle's soft voice interrupted her thoughts. He came beside her on the bed and patted her back.

"What happened, child? You know, you can tell me everything, I am here for you" his words made her feel warm. She remembered what she saw last night. 

Tears dwelled up in her eyes, she could hold back anymore. She began to cry loudly, this time she didn't have to muffle her cries, she could cry freely without any fear.

Penelope wrapped her arms around her uncle and began to sob in his arms. Khalid let her cry, it was better than holding your feelings to yourself, it was better to let it out.

They didn't know when evening turned into night. Penelope finally calmed down. Khalid wiped away her tears and kissed her head.

"Do you want to tell me what happened" his tone was gentle, he wasn't demanding her to answer him but it felt like he was asking for her if she wanted to tell him or no.

Penelope gently nodded and told what she saw. Khalid's jaw clenched and his hands turned into fist. His violet eyes began to glow with fiery. 

"He did what?" He wasn't able to control his anger. He wanted to destroy the whole family after what they did to his niece. 

"I don't want to talk about it and i don't want to go to that place anymore." Penelope lowered her head. Khalid sighed, he didn't want to show his anger in front of Penelope. 

"It's time for dinner! Come on get up!" Khalid pulled her up. By now Fernis and the dragon were already up. And they headed to the dinning hall.

•••

It has been a week since Penelope left the Agriche mansion. It was a bit unusual for everyone and how she left without saying a word. At first they thought that she would return in a day or two but she never came back.

"Sister Roxie, it's been a while since sister Nellie left the house." Jeremy who was strolling along with Roxanne in the graden asked her. 

"I don't know. I too am worried but she will return soon." Roxanne smiled at jeremy but deep inside she was anxious. 

'where is she'

On the other hand Dion was sitting in Penelope's room, holding the silver cross in his hand. The cross that she gave him as a gift. He always had the cross with him. It was a precious possession of his, just like how she was his obsession.

He was desperately searching for her. Dion never showed it but he hated being far from her, far from his girl.

"Where are you..." He slowly mumbled, holding the cross close to him. "Did you run away?" His red eyes glowed with an ominous hue. 

"You can never run away from me, never" his lips curved into a malicious smirk.

He knows exactly where he will find her. And in the blink of an eye, he disappeared from the room.

•••

Penelope was leading the other mages for the latest experiment they were conducting. She was able to get her mind off the incident that happened in the Agriche mansion. Her sole focus was on the experiment that they were working on.

Being the heiress wasn't easy at all. But she was able to manage everything on her own and had no problem with it. Though it wasn't easy at the beginning but with the help of her uncle, she had improved a lot.

"Okay everyone!" She clapped her hand, gaining everyone's attention. "Let's stop here for today" mages cheered and sighed as they can take rest now.

"Good work everyone" she smiled, Everyone bowed and left. 

Penelope sighed and removed her gloves. "Done, kiddo?" She looked at her uncle, who was leaning at the door frame with his arms crossed.

She slowly nodded. 

"Good then! We are going out for a picnic!" He exclaimed with a bright smile. Khalid held her hand and led her outside the room. Both of them teleported.

To be continued ~