chapter 32

The moon hung low in the ink-black sky, casting an eerie pallor over the desolate landscape. A chilling breeze whispered through the gnarl trees, there twisted branches reaching out like skeletal fingers, trying to get a hold of their prey. The air was thick with a sense of foreboding and the ground seemed to absorb the feeble light, swallowing it whole.

The cave in front of me was surrounded by a layer of mist, as if covering the cave like a blanket. The closer I got to the cave, the lower the temperature fell.

The moment I entered the cave, a palpable darkness engulfed around me. Nothing was visible and everything around me got silent. The only sound i could hear was the echoing of water dripping and a low growl.

The magic lantern flickered, casting light in the cave. I took out that thing from the pocket of my pants.

The black dragon's eye, an ancient artifact that is the remains of one of the black dragon. A lot of people came and tried to get the dragon but non of them were able to get to the dragon, as they got lose in the massive maze of this cave.

There was no sound except the sound of my footsteps. The artifact took different turns. I am glad that I have this artifact otherwise i would have died like the others.

The artifact moved in the dark cave at a constant speed. Sound of growls grew louder and louder as I walked in the cave.

I clutch the sword in my hand, sweat started to form on my forehead. Suddenly my whole body froze because of an unknown and strong aura. It felt so ominous and terrifying.

At last the artifact halted. The light of the artifact shoned on the gigantic door which was locked with chains blocking it. An ancient seal that was used to lock the dragon up.
Mr. Dragon, here I come.

•••

Finally!
The chains fell on the ground with a loud thud. As i approached the entrance, the oppressive darkness seemed to press upon me like a physical force trying to crush me.

My footsteps echoed and I could feel the cold seeping into my bones.
The dragon should be around here.

Before me, the dragon emerged, it's colossal form dominating the cavern, it's obsidian scales glimmered ominously, reflecting the dimmest light in the chamber. The dragon's eyes, like pure melted gold, bore into my soul.

It's massive wings unfurled with a deafening rush of wind, sending a shockwave through the cavern that threatened to knock me off balance.

My grip tightened around my sword, the sword that is the one and only relic of the Ambrose family, now my only defence against the dragon's fiery breath.

It's fiery breath, like a torrent of pure destruction scorched the air around us, leaving me with no respite.

My sword clashed with its massive claws. The dragon's eye blazed with fury, i don't know why but i could see a glimmer of recognition, a spark of intelligence buried in his bright gold like eyes. It was as if the creature, after centuries of isolation was longing for something more.
Hah...i don't know what I am saying anymore...

I know deep inside that i can't defeat the dragon and to be honest, i have no intention of defeating it.

"Hey! Listen to me for a minute!" I raised my voice. The dragon just flung it's claw, which I was barely able to block.

"I don't want to harm you!" I tried again but the dragon's attacks didn't stop. I kept on trying and trying to show the dragon that i don't want to harm it but the dragon's attacks never stopped and I was reaching my limit.

In a moment of frustration and desperation, i sheatled my sword.
"See! I don't even have a weapon now! I won't harm you!" I shouted at the top of my lungs.

Dammit! What I hell did I just did!
The dragon growled and bare it's teeth at me.
I am deadmeat now..

I don't know what came to my mind, but i extended my open palm. I wasn't sure what will happen to me now but that was the only thing that i could do at the moment.

The dragon's golden eyes looked at my extended hand as it was some sort of joke. My voice quivered as I spoke the pact, the promise that was made between the dragon and its last raider.

The dragon hesitated, it's fiery breath subsided into an uncertain rumble. I approached the dragon cautiously, my hand still extended. The cavern was filled with a tension.

"I am not here to harm you, i promise"
The dragon lowered it's colossal head, allowing me to touch its massive snout.

"You are different, human" my eyes grew wide as the dragon spoke with it's calm voice. A black crestan moon symbol appeared on my hand, forging a connection between us.

•••

A week have passed already. According to the plot, Cassis will escape tonight. I wasn't able to visit Cassis in the meanwhile because of the dragon and this so-called system.

"Human! Get this dirty mutt of me!" The little dragon roared and Fernis held the dragon's tail in its mouth. It was funny to see the mighty and great dragon, being tormented by Fernis.

The dragon transformed into a small and more delicate version. No one knows about the dragon except my uncle. It's better to keep it a secret for now.

A red butterfly entered my room through the window and sat on my finger. The dragon sat on my shoulder and let out a small growl as it stared at the red butterfly.

"You don't need to be too wary" I said to the dragon but it kept staring at the butterfly with wariness.

"Now it's time to start the show" my lips curved into a smirk.
"You're weird, Human"
I could only laugh at the dragon's words.

To be continued ~