chapter 25

Aunt Serria asked me to take a walk with her today. I was free for the time being, so i didn't have any reason to refuse. Not like I will ever be able to refuse, in the first place.

Aunt Serria is different from other Madams of the family. She had a kind, caring and timid personality, which is not suitable for the members of this family.

After her son died, she grew more worried for her only child, her daughter, Roxanne's well being. She knows that she has no power in this family, she is not strong enough to protect her children and this guilt is slowly eating her.

Four years back, when I was thrown into this world. My life was turned upside down. I ran away from Eckhart duchy, got kidnapped, finding Penelope's family, a sudden engagement, everything happened in such a short period of time that it was too much for me to bear alone.

At that time, it was her, only she was the one who look after me, took care of me and loved me. Never once in my previous life, i had ever experienced the love of a mother. A type of love that is so selfless and warm.

Once i asked her, why...why is she being so kind to me.

She was surprised why I was asking her this, but a small smile appeared on her face. Her eyelids cast down as she started speaking .

•••

"You were trapped here, alone and terrified. You did show that you weren't scared but your eyes, they clearly showed how you actually felt.  When i first saw your eyes, they reminded me of my son." She paused. The thought of her dead son saddened her. But still she managed to smile.

"My son's eyes were like you, determined...  He believed that he would grow stronger and protect me and Roxanne. But he wasn't able to survive... His eyes were so dull when is lifeless body was thrown infront of me. Never in my whole life I want to see any dull eyes like those" she shutted her eyes, remembering the dead body of her baby boy.

I was lost in her words, each word she said described her sadness about her son's death. I was so lost that i didn't realise when a pair of arms pulled me toward them. I was pulled into a warm embrace.

"You may not be my own flesh and blood but I can swear that not even once i felt that you aren't my child. The more time i spend with you, the more attracted i grew with you. You smile, your laughter, your eyes, everything about you felt lovely. I felt that I had one more child other than roxanne and ashil" her hand's softly caress my hairs, making me feel drowsy. Her soft voice was like music to my ear.

She may not be my real mom but I love her... She is the first motherly figure i ever had. That day, i, an orphan gain a mother. I will do everything within my power to keep her safe and happy, I swear to myself.
That day I gained a mother and she gained another daughter.

•••

I finally reached where aunt serria was waiting for me. She was waiting near the garden. Her blue- purple dress  reached her ankles, adorn with jewels. She smiled as she saw me.

One maid with short brown hair was standing behind her. She seemed familiar. Ahh i remember, last month during one of Maria's tes party, the maid was about to be killed by her, but aunt Serria requested Maria to spare her. From that day she have been following aunt Serria.

"How have you been, Penelope" aunt Serria asked me with a smile adorning her face.

"I have been well these days, aunt. How have you been" we began our walk as we converse. The garden was a beautiful place to walk, if only it wasn't filled with poisonous flowers.