Chapter 9

Episode 3: Turn on the Light (part 3)

Arin took notes as she listened to the music playing in the background. She was in her room, preparing for the evaluation she needed to do for the trainees.

Since she was an all rounder master, she would alternate with evaluating between dance, vocals and rap.

Today, she was in charge of the Kill this Love team and Love me right team.

She was quite concerned for the trainees due to the numerous harmonisation and doubling included in both songs. Not only that, the Kill this Love team had to sing a girl group song, which has a higher pitch range than a male's vocal.

"We can always lower the pitch to suit them... it should be fine"

+       +       +

The corner of her lips rose towards her cheeks as she made eye contact with PH-1.

They both signalled to each other their amazement towards the trainees vocals. Arin tapped the melody of the song against the paper as she continued listening to G group singing Kill this Love. 

She stopped tapping her fingers as she heard a trainee rapping a part he wasn't supposed to. Arin raised her eyebrows, whispering to PH-1, "This is supposed to be the main rapper's part, right?"

PH-1 nodded as he flipped through the page. She took note of that as she leaned back to her chair.

The trainees stopped singing and every body in the room clapped.

"Mmm..."

The trainees stared at Arin as their hearts were about to burst out of their chests.

Arin looked up, tilting her head while smiling as she made eye contact with Keita. "You played your cards well Keita"

All the G group trainees broke into a smile as she continued, "Even though it's a girl group's song, you guys hit the note perfectly. And the harmonisation between each member really pleased my ears"

She made eye contact with Matthew and recalled him being disappointed with his part.

"Matthew?", he looked at her as she placed the paper down. "You don't need to worry about getting overshadowed. Your voice is perfect for this part"

He smiled, bowing towards her, "Thank you so much"

PH-1 looked towards the team, "Regarding with the rap, the 'feeling like a sinner.. ' isn't that the main rapper's part?"

Keita exchanged eye contact with Min and explained, "Min hyung said he wanted more parts because he has a lot of doubling so I gave him that section of the rap"

Arin nodded, completely understanding their desperation.

"I understand why you guys did that but it has to be a fair competition. The parts need to stay the same, okay?". Her eyes softened as she saw Min look down, while nodding.

The two star masters stood up, ready to leave.

Before walking out of the door she turned her body, "Zhanghao!"

All the trainees looked towards Zhanghao as Arin gestured him to come towards her.

He walked up to her, holding the door open.

"Since you're the leader, reassure your teammates that they have an opportunity to show themselves off on stage okay? Even if you can't change parts, you can change the dance a bit so each member can be shown to the audience"

He nodded, "Alright, I'll take that into consideration"

"You got this Hao", Arin walked away as Zhanghao ran his fingers through his hair.

+        +        +

Arin looked towards the door as the trainees came in one bye one. This time she was evaluating the Love me right team.

She raised her eyebrows as she saw the combination of trainees.

"Oosh, avengers vs avengers"

"Are both teams good?". Arin nodded towards lilboy who leaned back on his chair.

Both team stood in a horizontal line in front of the two masters.

"Hey guys~". Both groups bowed, greeting the two masters. "This is Lilboy~ He's going to be your rap mentor"

Both teams cheered, clapping as lilboy bowed towards them.

"Are you guys all satisfied with your parts?", all the trainees nodded as Arin looked through the paper.

"Then should we take a listen to your vocals? Who wants to start first?"

Haruto raised up his hands, "We'll go first!"

Arin chuckled, loving the confidence he had. "Alright, let's go G group"

G group got Arin excited as they sang the song. The harmonisation of the group were amazing, you could hear the rap clearly and not to mention the main vocalist, Jay.

The tone of his voice was a perfect match for this song. His adlibs increased the quality of the song and not to mention the high note.

Lilboy looked towards Arin, impressed.

They both clapped as soon as G group finished. "They seem like they'll get first"

All of K group widened their eyes as their gaze went towards Hoetaek. 

Arin smiled proudly towards G group. She imagined how hard it must've been for them to learn a song that's not in their language. But they managed to exceed her expectations.

"I'm really impressed. I feel like you guys chose the parts really well. You guys really felt like a team"

They all bowed as she pointed towards Jay, "Jay..."

Jay looked at her, nervous. "Your voice... is amazing"

He broke into a smile as she continued, "You have a really powerful voice and I think that's such a huge power tool for you. It brings that refreshing feeling you get when listening to the song"

He bowed to her, "Thank you, thank you so much"

She leaned back and looked towards K group. "So, K group. Are you ready?"

They all nodded as she stated, "I just want you guys to sing up to the chorus, just like G group"

All of them yelled yes as they all made eye contact with each other, signalling to each other that they got this.

Yedam started the song off and the first thing she noticed was that his notes were longer than it should be, delaying the beat of the song a bit.

While K group continued singing, she also noticed that their harmonisation were a bit unstable. And the one thing that got her worried was Hoetaek's high note.

It was impressive that he could reach that note, but it just felt like it wasn't necessary because it didn't blend in with the song well.

As K group finished singing Arin sighed, tapping on the piano in front of her.

"Look guys", Arin looked up and the trainees froze in their place, "You guys are great vocalists and rappers but you need to know your limits with showing off your skills.

What the main difference between K group and G group was sounding like a team. It just felt as though you guys were too busy showing off your own skills than trying to sound good as a team."

Hoetaek pursed his lips, reflecting on his leadership skills.

Arin leaned back on her chair, sighing once again as she couldn't help but feel disappointed.

Maybe I just need to lower my expectations... that way I can control my emotions better.

------------------------

A/N: I'm not going to include the reactions for their staged because I feel like it would just get repetitive.

I'll try to include more scenes with different boy planet's trainee so stay tuned!

Also who else is nervous for the finals tomorrow? Because I know I am