Chapter 30|| GPP

Romelou Shaqiri
(Rum • el • low)

We're at the "small gathering" according to my mother.

Uncle, Aunty, sister, cousins, bredda friend. First, second and third generation. She has her whole family here.

This what she does all the time, that last month when they had the surprise party for me, she said it was just close family and friends. Almost one hundred people, how she one close to so much people?

Anyways, It irritating me how Hendrix was getting along with everybody, they all gravitated towards her.

I've been ignoring her though.

Her and my mother has been having a big conversation since we got here. About what I don't know.

My father spots me at the foot of the stairs and handed me a beer.

"This whole time you're here I don't see you even ask the young lady if she wants something to eat or drink"

And mi know she love har belly enuh, but mi naah deal wid har right now.

"Dads me and har have a argument, mi just a breeze har likkle."

"Young boy these days don't know anything about women. You have her in an unfamiliar environment and just leave her like that... with your mother of all people, fi chat out her ears."

"Mi aguh tell Faith yuh seh dat."

It's true though mommy neva mek yuh ears rest, two things guaranteed wid har she aguh send chain message every morning and chat long pon phone.

We both laugh when Egypt and Stella walk over to join us.

"Daddy?"

"Yes Egypt."

"Is that your friend that gave me the potion for my belly?"

Suh nobody nuh business bout me? Everybody a inquire bout Hendrix.

"Yes."

"And my mommy have a friend uncle Jamal, but he didn't give me any magic potion like your friend."

"Oh really?"

"Yes."

"Weh mi tell yuh bout yes."

"Yes daddy"

"Gwaan guh play."

As long as she know who she have round mi pickney mi nuh business weh she duh wid har life.

"I'm going outside" my dad said and left while Egypt ran over to Hendrix.

I don't know what he was telling her but she was too invested.

They were having a whole conversation.

I'm watching her interact with my mother and my son like she's been in my family for awhile, if only she can just stop act hardheaded, and mek me lov— mek me treat har right.

If my son approves, it's a sign for me.

I watched on as she tickles him, he was killing himself in laughter.

My mother's eyes softens in admiration as she stares at her.

I felt an aggressive push on my shoulder.

"Mommy call mi dis morning before sunrise bout she dream see fish, mi tell har fi tell dem fi swim away."

Stella was next to me saying stuff that I could hardly focus on.

"She call you?" Stella asked.

"Yaah hear nothing weh mi a seh to yuh likkle boy?"

She used her finger to flick my ears.