28. 𝑪𝒓𝒖𝒆𝒍 𝒔𝒖𝒎𝒎𝒆𝒓.

Chapter 28~ Cruel summer.

𝘼𝙪𝙜𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝟑𝟏𝙨𝙩

"Welcome to Hawkins Indiana, a wonderful place to grow up, to raise your family, to walk your dog but then. On July forth everything changed, a terrible tragedy struck this small town but this was not this towns first brush with tragedy. Mysterious deaths." A picture of Arwen's dad, Jesse came up on the screen along with Bob and Barb, she stared at the picture trying not to cry, "government coverups, a bizarre chemical leak, is it all linked? All a vast conspiracy? The fault of a disgraced corrupt mayor? Or is something more going on in the heartland? Can a town itself be cursed? Some believe a rise in satanism is to blame. To find out, tune in tonight at 8:00p.m. For 'horror in the Heatland.' On cutting edge." Arwen rolled her eyes and flicked through the channels, "haunting in Hawkins, is this small town unlucky or is it really haunted?" She flicked the channel again, it felt like it was impossible to find something on that wasn't about Hawkins being a town of Satan or whatever shit they were stirring, "Starcourt mall in Hawkins, Indiana is undergoing repairs to be completely rebuilt after burning down in a tragic fire that caused many lives to be lost." She quickly sat up on her bed with widened eyes as Max walked in and saw, "Max-"

"The mall is being rebuilt?" She let out slowly, "yeah..." Arwen walked over to her girlfriend, embracing her, "I want to go and see it." She whispered, "what? Are you sure?" Arwen asked worriedly, Max had barely gone outside since that night, let alone going back to see where she lost Billy, "I'm sure."

"Then I'll take you." Arwen agreed, still not knowing if it was the best idea.

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

Once they arrived at the mall it was chaos, there were protesters fighting against the mall being rebuilt, news crews, builders, cops. They had already rebuilt the glass roof where the mindflayer had fallen through.

"Think about the lives that have been lost."
"Stop the rebuild." Chants were being shouted all around. Arwen walked up slowly with Max who looked disoriented, "are you sure about this?" Arwen double checked, Max nodded her head and carried on walking, "stop the rebuild! Stop the rebuild! Stop the rebuild!"

"Hey, hey what are you two doing here?" A familiar voice came up to them, Hopper stood in front of them trying to avert Max's eyes away from the mall, "Max wanted to see it." Arwen said, Hopper gave an understanding nod, "you doing okay Max?" He smiled, placing his hand on her shoulder, "I'm okay."

"Why are they rebuilding it after what happened?" Arwen asked, "I don't know kid, I've been trying my best to shut it down but it's out of my hands."

"Well it's fucking bullshit." Arwen let out receiving a few stares from people, "yeah I know, I wish there was more I could do."
"Me too."

"So are you two going to Joyce's for dinner tonight?" He asked, changing the subject.
"Why? You want me to tell her that you're madly in love with her?" She smirked, making Max laugh, "yeah, yeah real funny."

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

"I'm so glad you could make it!" Joyce opened the door to Max, Rachel and Arwen with a big smile on her face, "we're having lasagna, it will be ready in twenty minutes, Wills in his room if you girls want to go through." Joyce moved aside, they walked along to his room and knocked, "come in." Will called from inside, he put down his comic and got up to hug Max and Arwen.
"How are you guys going?" Will asked awkwardly, the group didn't really know how to approach Max after what happened to Billy, "okay." Max replied, Will looked down awkwardly but Arwen followed his eyes, "are you okay Will?"

"Um yeah- can I tell you guys something though?" They all sat on the bed, "sure." Arwen smiled, "no but it's bad and I seriously hate myself for it and I don't know what to do." He panicked, "Will- whatever it is we're here for you." Max placed her hand on his shoulder, "it's Mike." Arwen suddenly widened her eyes at him, "um what about him?" She stared at him with dagger eyes, "It's not what you think." He said, catching onto her stare, "huh?" Max looked at them, confused, "I like Mike." He admitted ignoring Max, "what?!" They said in unison, "since when? What??"

"Since around the time Max moved here."
"Oh my god!" Max's mouth opened, "why?" Arwen glared at him, "okay I get you can't control your feelings and all but imagine kissing him." Max laughed and scrunched up her face at the thought of it, Arwen's eyes widened again as she gave Will a look, "what?" Max stopped laughing after realising no one else was, "I can't believe you." Arwen suddenly snapped at Will, "am I missing something?" Max questioned but quickly got cut off by Joyce to Arwen's relief.

"Kids! Dinners ready!" Joyce called from the kitchen, Arwen pushed in front of Will and took Max's hand, "Arwen are you okay?" She whispered, "yep just fine."

"How are you doing sweetie?" Joyce tucked in her chair once the food was on the table, "I'm okay." Max smiled then cut up her food, Arwen placed her hand on her leg for comfort.

"So how's the rest of party? I feel like we haven't seen them in ages." Rachel asked, "oh they're just great Mike is really kissi- missing you guys." Will smirked at Arwen, receiving weird looks from Joyce, Rachel and Max, "oh Will." Arwen laughed sarcastically to cover up her kicking him under the table, "ow!" Everyone looked to Will, "I mean- owarwen, Arwen please can I talk to you?"
"Be quick, your dinner will go cold." Joyce said, Arwen stormed off behind Will, more annoyed that she would have to lie to Max about what they were talking about.

"Why did you put me in that awkward position, you could have told us individually, my reaction was so obvious." Arwen hissed, "It's not like she knows he kissed you!" He hissed back, "keep your voice down! What has gotten into you, stop making stupid comments too." Will took a deep breath, "okay fine, I'm sorry. I admit it was stupid."

"Whatever." Arwen walked back off.