30. 𝑯𝒆𝒓 𝒍𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝒔𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒆.

Chapter 30~ Her last smile.

𝑱𝒂𝒏𝒖𝒂𝒓𝒚 𝟑𝒓𝒅 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟔

It had been six months since everything happened. Mike still hadn't told El about the kiss and Arwen hadn't told Max, Starcourt mall was nearly fully rebuilt, El and Hoppers cabin was completely rebuilt, Max's mom and step dad had gotten a divorce and Arwen watched her mood dip in and out for months.

Max and Arwen were sat in her room with loads of paint, paper and pens scattered across the floor, "what are you making?" Max smirked trying to see what Arwen was doing, "nooo nope!" She grabbed the paper and ran across the room with Max chasing her, both laughing, "stay away!"

"Just show me!"

"No!" She ran back to the bed and Max stopped, seeing a picture on the floor, they made eye contact before both running to it but Max got there first, "oh my god! It's a picture of me. Wait hold on, this is from like 1984." She looked over it, furrowing her eyebrows, "no way! This was like my second day at school after I moved here, your stalker era!" She carried on laughing as Arwen folded her arms pretending to be mad, "how about you shut up!"

"How about you make me?" Max smirked, "make you?" Arwen repeated, with a wide grin on her face, "mhm." She practically tackled her to the ground and kissed from her neck up to her lips, "you're the most precious person on earth." Max said in between kisses, "okay wait, time out." Arwen moved her face away from Max, "why?" She looked at her sadly, "because I got you something." She stood up and walked over to her bedside table, picking up a present, "it's just been Christmas Wen, what did you get me?"
"Open it." Max did as she was told and unwrapped it, "oh my god Arwen." She looked up at her, "you got me a Walkman?! These are expensive! You didn't have to."
"I wanted to." She leaned forward and kissed her forehead, "do you know what goes good with Walkmans?" Arwen asked, "um ears?" She grinned causing Arwen to roll her eyes, "nope, Kate Bush." She handed Max the hounds of love cassette that Max had wanted for months, "I really love you so much Arwen. Thank you." She cried.

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

The next day Max stood outside Arwen's locker waiting for her class to finish, she was already wearing her Walkman non stop.

"Hey is that a hickey on your neck?" Nancy caught up with Arwen once she was out of class and moved her hair away from her neck, licking her finger and rubbing at it, "okay- okay! That's enough Nance, it's not going to come off with your spit." She moved away and wiped her neck, "sorry." She grinned.

"Arwen. Could I speak with you?" A woman walked up to Arwen and Nancy with a wide smile on her face, "Ms. Kelley." Nancy smiled back, "shit." Arwen whispered under her breath, "I'm fine with Nancy hearing what this is about."
"It's about our meetings, I would still like to see you for counselling once a week." She said the words Arwen was dreading, "yeah sorry about that, you know the um mall burnt down and everything so I haven't had time."
"She really is sorry." Nancy added, more sincerely, "it's okay, I heard about everything with your girlfriend Max. I would like to see you every Thursday at 2pm."

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

Flashback January 1985

"I hate him." Max cried into Arwen's arms, "he makes me miserable." She let out between sobs, "it's okay." Arwen whispered, stroking her head over and over, "sometimes I just-" Max abruptly sat up and looked at Arwen, "I wish something bad would happen to him. What if he just crashed that stupid car or-" she quickly became insecure that she sounded insane but Arwen never felt that way about her, "I'm sorry."
"Max stop apologising."