42. 𝑮𝒐𝒐𝒅 𝒄𝒐𝒑, 𝒃𝒂𝒅 𝒄𝒐𝒑.

Chapter 42~ Good cop, bad cop.

"Arwen. What are you doing?" Arwen panicked and looked around for Max, Lucas and Dustin. The lake was still there but it looked different as the night sky was getting shielded with black clouds, red mist started emerging from the water, "Max!" She yelled, trying to stay as calm as possible whilst the temperature dropped sending a shiver down her spine. She listened carefully for the voice again, "Arwen." There it was, she frantically turned in every direction until she saw a person walking through the trees. A man. As he got closer, Arwen felt her body go into shock, she couldn't move or speak. "Arwen."

"Dad?" Arwen let out through her cracked voice. She squinted her eyes shut and tried to think about Max instead, "you're not real." She said to herself, "come give me a hug." He opened his arms for her, "you're not real."
"I am Wennie, just come here." Her breath started to get heavier and her heart was beating rapidly as she stepped back slowly, still keeping her eyes on him.

"I said come here bitch." He spat, catching Arwen off guard, "you watched me die. You did nothing to stop it, you wanted me dead!" He yelled, walking closer, "you're a terrible daughter, wanting your own father dead. You're nothing but a disappointment. Nothing but a deceiving bitch." Arwen looked at him in disbelief, "no wonder Max never loved you. Your own mother left you, she doesn't care about you, your friends wish you had died that night. no one wants to deal with you anymore. But I do, even after what you did to me. I can make you pain go away." Tears rapidly escaped Arwen's eyes as he got closer and closer and the worst part was she believed him. She did watch him die, she would never admit it out loud but she was glad he was gone, he hurt her. But were the things about Max true? The things he said about her friends?

All of a sudden, she started to run with her head still facing him. Suddenly,  his body disappeared through smoke as if it was just an illusion, until she ran into what she thought was a tree, she slowly turned her head to see him. Vecna. "Arwen. Why are you running?" 

"Arwen. You okay?" Arwen snapped out of her thoughts to see Max standing in front of her, "uh yeah, I'm fine." She put on a fake smile which Max could see right through but couldn't exactly say anything yet as the cops were stood talking to the parents. Arwen couldn't stop thinking about her vision since they got taken back to Mike's house by the cops from Lover's Lake.

"This sucks." Dustin whispered to the group, "yeah it's not ideal considering the others could literally be with Vecna right now." Arwen replied, "at least your parents aren't here, mine are gonna kill me." Lucas looked at Max and Arwen, "oh yeah, no- you're totally right Lucas, your parents are here whilst my mom is god knows where doing god knows what."
"And my mom is probably passed out on the couch from drinking too much." Max and Arwen glared at him to which he instantly felt bad, "sorry- I didn't mean it like that." Lucas pursed his lips.

"What exactly were you all doing at the lake?" The cop walked over to the couch interrupting the teens conversation, they all turned to each other trying to devise a non-verbal plan, "uh..." Dustin started, "skinny di-" Arwen interrupted, earning a nudge from Max, thankful none of the adults heard, "it's comp-"

"We were...we were just going for a walk." Max cut of Dustin, "a walk? At 9:00 p.m?" Officer Callahan questioned with folded arms, Arwen couldn't help but let out a quiet laugh at how serious he was trying to be, "we were gonna...take a little swim." Dustin said in a high pitched voice making Max and Arwen look at each other, "a little night swim." He carried on, "Dusty. Someone was just murdered there." His mom interjected, "yeah, we...we didn't realise that until we got there." He awkwardly laughed, "that's why we didn't swim." Lucas added, "and Nancy. Was she with you at this night swim?" Mrs. Wheeler asked.

"No."
"Yes. Uh..." Max and Dustin replied in unison then looked at each other, "we're not sure." Lucas slowly said, "she was there. Then she left." Dustin kept digging himself an even bigger hole whilst Arwen just let them do the talking, "Arwen?" Karen turned to her for answers knowing she was closest with Nancy, "uh..." her eyes widened, "see that's a good question which I really think Max could answer so well." Arwen awkwardly answered, receiving a glare from her girlfriend,
"what?" Max whispered, "see- what Arwen is trying to say is- is it's all a little confusing." Dustin answered for the girls, "and that's when you guys came." Lucas raised his voice out of nervousness, "right and then they dared me to say what I said." Max went along with it, "yeah that's what happened." Arwen joined in, trying to make at least one contribution, "great work Wennie." Max whispered sarcastically to her.