Chapter 3 - My Bonfire

Newt led me to the bonfire night, where a large fire roared in the center of the glade, surrounded by a circle of boys. As we arrived, they all stopped talking and looked at me, unsure of how to act around a girl.

Newt disappeared into the crowd, chatting away with the other boys. I tried to join him, but every time I introduced myself, someone else would step forward to do the same. It became increasingly difficult to keep track of all their names and faces. Their gaze would rarely meet mine, instead drifting down towards my cleavage or my rear.

Growing tired of the attention, I wandered off towards the edge of the clearing, finding solace on a log with a cup of moonshine. I was lost in my thoughts when an Asian-looking boy approached me. "Mind if I sit?" he asked politely, to which I nodded in agreement.

"So, how's your bonfire?" he inquired.

"Great," I lied, with a strained smile.

"It will be better," he reassured me with a pat on my shoulder. "We've all been there." I shot him a cold look. "Really? You've all been the only girl here?" I asked, with a hint of bitterness in my voice.

"No, but I was the only non-white before. You think they didn't treat me differently?" he said, sensing my discomfort. I looked down at the ground, my shame growing as I realized I hadn't even noticed his ethnicity. "It was confusing; I had no idea who I was, and I was so different from the others. It was hard. So, believe me, I do know what you go through."

I remained silent, feeling foolish for letting their stares and remarks get to me.

"Do you remember your name?" Minho asked.

"Y/n," I replied without thinking. The sudden realization hit me, and I screamed with joy. I remembered my name! I hugged Minho, feeling grateful for his company.

Throughout the evening, Minho and I talked about everything and anything. He treated me like a person rather than an outsider or an object of curiosity. He shared stories about the glade, and I listened intently.

When Newt arrived, I could sense his jealousy. "How's it going?" he asked grumpily.

"I'm fine," I replied, furrowing my eyebrows. But then, I heard laughter from my left side. I turned to see Gally fighting with a younger boy.

"What is he doing?" I asked, standing up. Newt and Minho could sense my anger, and Newt grabbed my arm, trying to reassure me that it was nothing.

"Y/n?" Newt's tone was one of betrayal as he looked at me. "You remembered your name and didn't tell me?"

I frowned at him, feeling guilty for not telling him earlier. "Yes, it came to me when Minho asked my name," I explained.

Newt glared at Minho. "Oh," he said, clearly not happy about it.

"Well, that's good," he added after a moment. Meanwhile, I heard more cheering from Gally's direction. He had put another Glader on the ground on his back, and the other boys cheered him on.

I hurried over to where Gally was, with Newt and Minho trailing after her in a desperate attempt to prevent her from doing something rash. But it was too late; she had already shoved Gally in the chest, causing him to fall to the ground.

"What do you think you're doing?" I demanded, shoving Gally once more. The other Gladers laughed, unaware that Y/n didn't know that Gally fighting new arrivals was a bonfire night tradition.

Feeling embarrassed and misunderstood, I fled to Newt's hut, with Newt following me in concern. Tears of frustration welled up in my eyes as I tried to come to terms with what had just happened.

Once inside the hut, Newt gently placed his hands on my shoulders and led me to his hammock. "Gally always fights with new Gladers at bonfire night; it's a tradition," he explained. "Don't feel bad, Y/n. No one told you about it."

Although I felt silly, Newt reassured me that she had done something remarkable by standing up to Gally. He even offered to sleep beneath me in the unfinished floor to make her feel more comfortable.

However, I insisted that he sleep with her on the hammock, to despite his initial reluctance because to be honest I really wanted him to. We curled up together, their bodies pressed close, and I drifted off to sleep, feeling grateful for Newt's understanding and support.

It was a warm night, but the gentle swaying of the hammock and the cool breeze kept us both comfortable. Newt had his arms wrapped tightly around me, holding me close to his chest as I snuggled into him. His chin was resting on the top of my head, and I could feel the soft rise and fall of his chest as he breathed.

As I lay there, I could feel the tension slowly melting away from my body. The warmth of Newt's embrace, combined with the gentle rocking of the hammock, was incredibly soothing.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, inhaling the scent of Newt's cologne mixed with the fresh smell of the outdoors. It was a heady combination that made me feel safe and comfortable.

I shifted slightly in the hammock, trying to get more comfortable. Newt stirred slightly, but didn't wake up. You snuggled even closer to him, wrapping your arms around his waist and burying your face in his chest.

I could feel the steady beat of his heart against my cheek, and the sound of his breathing was like a lullaby for me, that's why, from this moment on we always slept in this position. Slowly, I drifted off to sleep, wrapped in Newt's warm embrace.

My dear Newt, if there was any moment where I fell in love with you, this must be this moment.