Chapter 5 - that buggin note

I sat alone at the table during lunchtime, but I wasn't eating. I stared at the crumpled note in my hand, trying to make sense of its contents. WICKED had sent it to me, but why? I couldn't remember my past. All I knew was that I was curious about what was inside the maze, and the note seemed to be an invitation to find out.

"Hello, love," I heard Newt's voice. I quickly folded the note and put it in my pocket. "Hi, Newt," I replied as he sat across from me at the table. "What was that note you were reading?" he asked as he drank from his glass. "Oh, it was just a flirty note from one of the gladers," I lied. Newt clenched his fist and scowled. I felt bad about lying to him, but I was afraid he wouldn't understand. Besides, if I told him, he would never let me go into the maze. And I needed to find out what the note was about and who sent it to me. It was on the tip of my tongue. Plus, I loved seeing Newt jealous.

"So, who's your secret admirer?" Newt asked, and I widened my eyes as I didn't have an answer. I just said the first name that popped into my head: "Wade." He had been kind of creepy with me lately, so if I had received a note from someone, it would have been Wade. Newt's jaw clenched, and his eyes darkened as he glanced over at where Wade sat.

"You want me to talk to him?"

I shook my head. "No," I said and ate some of the berries that Frypan had made especially for me. Newt and I had some conversations, but all I could think about was that note and the maze. I wasn't proud of what I did next, but I knew I had to go into the maze.

"Newt, I'm not feeling that well. I was hoping I could have the day off. I think I'm starting my period," I explained. As predicted, Newt let me go without asking any questions. While everyone was eating, this would be the perfect time for me to go into the maze.

I stood in front of the maze for a few moments. I had to admit, with all the stories that Newt had told me, I didn't want to go in there. By the look of it, it looked like hell. It took all the courage I had, but eventually, I stepped inside.

I walked deeper into the darkness of the maze with small steps. I could still hear the Gladers laughing from the eating area, and that made me feel calmer. I didn't want to go too far from the gates, just in case they closed, and I couldn't make it back in time. But my curiosity got the best of me, and I found myself wandering further and further into the dark walls. Then I caught a glimpse of a piece of paper attached to the walls by the foliage. My heart raced as I read the words scrawled across the paper, my name written boldly at the top. I grabbed it, and it had descriptions for me to follow. Last thing I knew I was back there.

I woke up in a cold sweat, screaming as I realized where I was. The laboratory. Everything flooded back to me, who I was, my life in the Glade, and all the traumatic memories that came with it. I felt a hand on my shoulder, and turned to see my dad, or as the other doctors referred to him, Janson.

"How are you feeling, Y/N?" he asked me, concern etched on his face.

"It's a lot to take in, getting all my memories back at once," I replied, taking a deep breath. "Especially the ones I'd rather forget, like losing my mother in the flare."

Janson nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. "Rest for an hour and try to adjust to it all, but we need to get information about the objects," he said.

"You mean Gladers," I corrected him. He looked at me with a strange expression. "Gladers? It's what they call themselves," I told him. "They have names, you know."

Janson nodded, and asked me to tell him about them. I told him everything, about each person in the Glade and their unique slang. I told them about Gally, on how he has trust issues and he acts like the leader. Probably because he has an urge to control everything.

"Why doesn't he trust you?" I asked Jansson.

"I don't know. Could it be his PTSD? You know, taken from his home? Could their memories of their trauma still be meaningful somehow?" Jansson shrugged his shoulders.

"That's what I need you to find out," he said. "It would've been easier for me if I could keep my memories. I don't remember what I'm supposed to do." I told him, and he nodded. "We can't risk you telling them."

Great, so my own father doesn't even trust me.

"Tell me about subject A2," he said and showed me a picture of Newt from a few years back, before he was taken to the maze.

"His name is Newt," I said. "And he is one of the most important Gladers in the Glade. He's cute, with messy blond hair and a very, very charming accent." I could practically hear the other doctors rolling their eyes at my description.

"However, he's the one who keeps everyone together, who gives them hope when things are bad. He's the one they all look up too and trust. Without him, I don't think the Glade would have survived as long as it has." The doctors nodded and wrote that down.

I told them about the rest, and then Dad decided to send me back where they found me.