Chapter 9 - Helping Minho

Newt found himself growing angry when he went to work one day and realized that the builders hadn't started on the enclosure he had asked Gally for a couple of weeks ago. He marched over to a couple of builders and asked about it. "It got delayed," one of the builders with a short beard told him. "Well, for one thing, we ran out of the specialized materials needed to fortify the walls," the builder explained. "And we had to wait for a shipment to arrive. Plus, we had to deal with some unexpected delays in the digging of the foundation." Newt shook his head in frustration. "This is unacceptable," he muttered under his breath. "We can't afford any delays in this project." As he turned to walk away, one of the builders called out after him. "Sir, it's not entirely our fault. We've been trying to communicate the urgency of this project to Gally, but he didn't seem to think it was that important." Newt turned around, feeling his face grow red. He forced himself to inhale a large breath before he started to look for Gally.

As for the other section, here is a corrected version:

Minho led me into the Map Room, and I felt a sense of excitement and anticipation building inside me. This was where all the maze data was kept, and I was eager to see it for myself. The room was larger than I had expected, with tall shelves and cabinets lining the walls, filled with rolled-up maps, notebooks, and other documents. I could see that there were even some sketches and drawings etched into the walls themselves.

"So, here's the latest map of the maze," Minho said, showing me a map laid out on the table. "We've been tracking the movements of the Grievers, and today I saw that they followed a similar pattern like they did yesterday. They come out at night, and then disappear again during the day."

"What do you need me to do?" I asked out of curiosity. Minho does this every day, so why does he need my help with it?

"I need you to help me mark out the areas where the Grievers have been spotted, and to add any additional notes or observations that you think might be relevant," Minho told me, and I nodded my head. "Sure, I can do that. Let's get started."

As we worked together, I noticed a particular section of the map that seemed to stand out. I pointed it out to Minho.

"Look at this section here. The Grievers seem to be spending more time in this area than anywhere else."

Minho leaned over and checked his notes. "Shuck, you're right y/n. Why haven't I noticed that before?" Minho said, smiling. I grew full of excitement as I thought this could lead to a way out of this place. Minho even hugged me, which was unexpected.

Later at dinner, I was eating with the other runners. I liked them so much better than the trackhoes. The Gladers who worked at the trackhoes always stared at me while working, but not one of the runners had once looked down at my cleavage.

"So there I was, running through the maze like a madman, and I saw a Griever coming my way. I thought, 'this is it, I'm done for'," David said, pausing for dramatic effect. "But then, the Griever stopped in front of me and started doing this weird dance, like it was trying to imitate me or something!"

The runners at the table burst out laughing, picturing the image of a Griever doing a dance. "Why would a Griever wanna imitate you, David?" Ben asked. "Probably because he looked so funny," I said, and the others laughed harder with me. As Ben and I kept laughing in sync, I saw Newt entering the room. I waved at him, but he didn't look happy. He marched over to our table. "What are you doing sitting here with the runners?" he asked me, and the laughter stopped, and silence fell over the table. I could tell by Newt's tone and the look on his face that he was already in a bad mood. However, seeing me sitting with the runners seemed to set him off more.

"What is Y/N doing here at this table?" Newt asked again.

"Y/N and I are friends, Newt," Minho told him.

"I haven't seen you all day, Y/N. We needed your bloody help with the bloody enclosure, and then I found you here, enjoying yourself with the bloody runners?" Newt snapped. My heart dropped as I looked at Newt's face twisted with anger. I didn't know what to say. I had never seen him like this before, not at me at least, and it was a frightening sight.

"Uhm... Minho asked me for help, so I helped him with some maze stuff in the map room," I said. Newt's eyes widened. "Are you bloody serious?" he said, turning his face away from me and looking at Minho as if he got angry with Minho now. "I discovered a thing, and I needed to get back early, and since everyone else was in the maze, I asked Y/N to help me," Minho explained.

"She's not a bloody runner! Only runners are allowed in there, beside me and Alby," Newt snapped at them. "Or maybe you wanted to impress the only girl in the maze, so you took her there."

His words made me angry. I stood up. "Did it ever occur to you that Minho asked me to the map room because he thought I was smart and not because he wanted to sleep with me?" I yelled at Newt. He just stared at me, and then he opened his mouth. "Everybody wants to shuck you, Y/N. How am I supposed to know that Minho doesn't want to as well?" His tone was poisoned with jealousy. Was he so angry because he was jealous? He embarrassed me in front of everyone in the Glade because he was jealous?

"You're unbelievable." I said and stormed off.

__

Night had arrived in the glade, and I hadn't spoken to Newt since his outburst. I was sitting by the fire, focusing on drawing in my notebook. I was sketching the fireplace right in front of me, trying to get the details just right.

Suddenly, a voice interrupted my thoughts and concentration. I looked behind me and saw Ben holding a blanket in his hand. "You looked cold, so I thought you could use this," he said as he unfolded the blanket and draped it over my shoulders. "Thanks," I said.

"Sorry about Newt, he can be pretty angry," Ben said as he sat down next to me.

"I've never seen him like that before," I admitted.

"The last time he was like that with me was when he was a runner," Ben said. Suddenly, it hit me like a bomb of shame. I realized why Newt was so angry. He wasn't jealous, he was scared of seeing me working with the runners because of his history with the maze.

"Thank you, Ben," I said as I put down my book, grabbed the blanket more securely, and went to find Newt. I searched everywhere - the homestead, the builders' area, the bloodhouse - but couldn't find him. I was currently marching over to the deadheads, thinking he might be there, but all I found was Wade, who showed up randomly behind a stone.

"Oh, you scared me," I said.

"I have a message for you," he said.

"From Newt?" I asked.

He shook his head. "From WICKED. They need you to come back for an update on everyone in the glade."

A wave of confusion hit my mind. "What in the shuck are you talking about?" I said.

"We need you to go back to the maze. We need more information from you, or we will hurt Newt," he said, his words dark and ominous.

My eyes widened, and my heart was filled with fear. "That's right, we know about you and him. We can easily hurt him, unless you do your job," he continued.

Although I was confused, I felt like I needed to do what he said. I entered the maze, and he followed me.