Chapter 23 - The glade defender

I don't remember much after I blacked out; all I can recall is the pain in my head. The pounding rhythm echoed within the confines of my skull, each beat a relentless reminder of her discomfort. I also remember how the air felt like a foreign guest as I tried to breathe. Every breath was a struggle, even though Alby wasn't anywhere near, I could still feel his hands around my throat. It was like an invisible shackle choking me.

Normally, one wouldn't forgive such an incident. I should be angry and demand that he be banned from the clearing. But it was Alby. Alby would never intentionally hurt me. It must have been after he was stung, and that's probably why he did this.

It didn't take long before Newt was present in my room, because I had such a hard time talking, it was difficult to have a conversation with him. I wanted to say how much I regret breaking up with him. How childish it was, considering our situation. Before, I only thought about how the Grievers could kill me. But no, Alby was close to killing me too. I can die of starvation here. I can die when I step into the maze; I can die when we finally find the way out of the maze. These could be my last days, and I'm spending my last days without Newt? But I couldn't get any words out. I don't know how long I lay here contemplating my mistake and thinking about how to say it.

Eventually, I heard noise outside. Something has happened. I ignored Jeff and Clint's orders and got out of bed. Once I was outside,I could hear their shouts and frantic movements echoing off the towering walls of the maze more clearly.

I spotted Minho and ran to the center of the storm, "What's going on? Why aren't the doors closing?" my voice was hoarse and broken, each word an effort to form.

"The doors aren't closing." Minho answered, not thinking about the fact that I was supposed to lay in bed.

I felt a cold shiver run down my spine as I joined the throng of boys clustered near the entrance to the maze. Fear gnawed at my insides, twisting into a tight knot of apprehension. Without the doors closing, we were vulnerable, exposed to whatever lurked beyond the towering walls.

Chuck, usually quick with a joke or a smile, looked pale and shaken, his eyes wide with fear. "We're stuck," he whispered, his voice barely audible over the din. "What if the Grievers get in?"

The air crackled with tension as the boys exchanged frantic glances, each one grappling with the terrifying possibility of what lay ahead. They had grown accustomed to the ever-present danger of the maze, but this was different. This was a threat they couldn't outrun, couldn't outsmart.

As the minutes stretched into an agonizing eternity, hope began to wane, replaced by a sinking sense of despair. They were trapped, at the mercy of forces beyond their control, and there was no way of knowing what would happen next.

Then, we heard the horrifying sounds that you've heard many nights before... the sounds of grievers. It was like a nightmare came to life, they appeared.

"Okay, chuck, I want you and y/n to go to the Council Hall, start barricading the doors." Thomas ordered in the middle of the fears rising among us. "Mm, okay" Chuck whimpered. I shook my head "no way, i'm not leaving Newt." The words came out in short, fragmented phrases, interrupted by small pauses as I struggled to breathe.

"you can barely breathe y/n." Newt said, I looked into those brown eyes that were filled with worry, and I completely ignored the fact that I broke up with him. I grabbed his head and pulled his lips against mine, the kiss lasted for a few seconds since we were in a hurry. They were staring at us as the sounds of grievers came closer.

"I'm not leaving you. I love you and I wanna be with you." I said, Newt nodded his head "but what are you.." he was interrupted by Gally "here" and In his hands, he held out a bundle of bows and arrows, along with a quiver strapped across his broad shoulder. His expression was grim, but his eyes held a steely determination. "Take these," he said, his voice firm but not unkind. "You'll need them to defend yourself. We're in this together." His words carried a weight of solidarity, a silent promise that they would stand shoulder to shoulder against whatever dangers lurked within the maze. With a nod of gratitude, I accepted the weapons. As the horrifying sight of a griever entering the glade, I grabbed the bow and loaded it with an arrow, I made it fly right into the grievers stomach. It screamed, I grabbed another, and another until it was lying on the ground. the boys stared at me shocked and impressed, but they didn't have any time to congratulate me. Grievers with their grotesque forms lumbering into the maze with an eerie sense of purpose. Their metallic limbs scraped against the stone walls, sending sparks flying in their wake.

In the chaos of the Glade's darkest hour, the eerie wail of Grievers pierced the air, signaling their relentless onslaught. I stood at the forefront, with my friends behind me as my fingers trembled as I notched an arrow into my bow, my heart pounding in rhythm with the approaching danger. With each shot, I fought with a fierce determination, my aim true as she took down one Griever after another, their monstrous forms collapsing in a heap of twisted metal and flesh.

As the battle raged on, fear threatened to consume me, but Y/N refused to yield. With each arrow I unleashed, I pushed back against the encroaching darkness, my resolve unyielding in the face of overwhelming odds. Yet, even as victory seemed within reach, a lone Griever emerged from the shadows, its deadly claws poised to strike.

In that moment of peril, Alby leapt into action, his presence a beacon of hope amidst the chaos. With a swift and decisive blow, he intercepted the Griever's attack, saving me from certain doom. Our eyes met in a fleeting moment of understanding, a silent acknowledgment of the debt owed and the forgiveness granted.

"ALLBYY!" The gladers shouted, anger flew inside me, I grabbed another arrow as I killed the griever that had just killed Alby. More grievers appeared behind the monster, I reached my hand back to grab more arrows but didn't feel any. There were no more arrows.

Panic flew through my body as Thomas grabbed my hand and we ran through the fields of high grass and hid. We waited until grievers grabbed another glader, "if I only had a few more arrows." I said but i don't think anyone heard me because my voice was so hoarse and broken.

We ran from the fields and tried to find a new place to hide, but it was hard because in every place, a griever found us. Theresa threw a jar of some liquid at the griever so it exploded, making us able to run to the homestead. A griever jumped in front of us, and as I thought it would be the end of it... a spear ran through his chest. As the griever fell at defeat, behind him came Newt with a spear in his hand. I smiled, and ran over the dead griever and right into his arms.

"Alby is...." I cried, he nodded his head "I know.." he said, the sound of grievers made us run into the homestead, hands in hands. We were in there, just hoping that the grievers wouldn't find us. I grabbed a spear to defend myself but broke the stick so it was more like a sword. As always, they did and grabbed... It grabbed chuck. "NO!" I screamed with my hoarse voice and grabbed his legs, the others did the same and grabbed his whole body. Minho grabbed a spear and tried to destroy the parts that the grievers held him with. The griever eventually gave up and Chuck landed at the floor. We all looked at each other as the sound of grievers started to fade away. We ran out of the homestead and they were gone.

"Where is everybody?" Theresa asks.

Some figures appeared through the fog, "Who's that?" someone asked behind us, as the figure walked closer to us we could see it was Gally. I was filled with relief as I saw my friend alive, but shocked at the way he punched me. Yelling and screaming that this was all my fault, saying that Alby was right, that I was a traitor??? Newt jumped on him and punched him in the face which led to a fight between him and Newt.

Was Gally right? Was this all my fault? Before strangling me, Alby did call me a traitor... I looked over at my friends, they all seemed to disagree with Gally. But he had a point. I looked over at Thomas, and saw the metallic-like thing he held in his hand, they were parts from Grievers. It was that part that would stung gladers... it gave me an idea. I grabbed it from Thomas and put it on my thigh. Once again I blacked out.