Chapter 24 - The spy

I woke up in a bedroom, though it wasn't much to be called a room. It had dark green walls, resembling an interrogation room, with a single bed. A nightstand, a desk with a chair, and a dresser. It was like an ugly, unfurnished dorm room. Turning to my right, on my wall, there were three photos. One of a woman, a man, and a child in their arms. One of just the woman and one of... Thomas? Why did I have a picture of Thomas? Turning to my left, on the desk, I saw some pens, a notepad, and books.

As I began to contemplate my surroundings, I started to hear faint music. On the dresser in front of me was a tape recorder that was on, next to it were 3-5 CDs. I heard a knock on the door, and a man I had never seen before stepped in. He had sharp, penetrating eyes that I didn't want to look into, lest he could read my innermost thoughts.

"Hi Dad," I said.

Dad?

"Good morning, my little star," he said with a smile, kissing me on the forehead. "Are you ready for your first day of internship?" he said with a smile. "I was born ready," I said firmly, he nodded and his entire face filled with pride.

I saw myself starting an internship with WICKED, how Thomas and I knew each other. How he was my boyfriend... BOYFRIEND? Me and Thomas?? Yuck.

I saw myself working with Newt. He was known as the reluctant tester, a young man with a strong belief that the organization was evil and their experiments were morally wrong. When I first met Newt, I saw a loneliness and pain in his eyes that couldn't be hidden behind his usual calm. He stood by the window in one of WICKED's laboratories, staring into the distance with an expressionless face. I felt an immediate desire to help him, to try to ease the weight that seemed to rest on his shoulders.

"Newt?" y/n approached him gently and placed a hand on his shoulder. "My name is y/n. I'm here to help you."

Newt jerked at her touch but then slowly turned to her. His eyes were filled with a mixture of distrust and sorrow. "You're here to help me?" he asked skeptically. "Why should I believe that?"

y/n met his gaze steadily and noticed the pain hidden behind it. "Because I believe in doing what's right," she replied calmly. "I know you've suffered a lot here, and I want to do what I can to help you. I can't promise to change everything overnight, but I want to be here for you."

Newt looked at her, as if trying to determine if he could trust her. After a moment, he nodded slowly, noticing a spark of hope in his eyes. "I've always wanted to meet my sister again," he admitted quietly. "But WICKED has always held me back."

y/n felt a sense of compassion for Newt and decided to do everything in her power to help him. "I'll try to get you to meet her," she promised. "We'll take it one day at a time, together."

I saw myself helping my dad? Designing the maze and giving ideas on how it should look. Somehow I felt how immoral this was and gave ideas that could be to the Gladers' advantage. Like we would provide materials to them, that was my idea. Thomas ate up one side, noticed my plans and we argued about whether it was right or not. He said we did this for the sake of humanity, "yes but at what cost?" I replied "Must it cost us our souls? Should we live with a debt for the rest of our lives?" I screamed back at him, he went silent, as if he knew I was right.

I saw them putting Newt in the maze, how his depression arose and tried to take his life. We watched as if it were a TV series, an entertainment, and I couldn't stand it. I suggested he needed someone there for him, someone who keeps him from leaving... my thought was that it was his sister. But since she was part of another experiment, it had to be someone else. It had to be me.

I was sent down into the maze as a spy and to keep Newt alive.

__

I woke up to find that me, Thomas, and Theresa were in the slammer. I was shocked, I looked up and Minho, Newt, and Chuck looked down at us. "Are you crazy?" asked Newt, but I couldn't even look at him.

"Why are we in here?" I asked.

"Gally took over, he said we had a choice. Either we take him, or we get banned along with you three," Newt explained. A knife stabbed into my heart... "and you let it happen?" I wondered, he nodded. "I had hoped to come up with some plan.." He said.

"How could Gally do this to me? I thought we were friends?" I asked "You were, until Grievers killed many of us. He blames everything on you." Minho explained.

"What did you see when you were gone?" asked Thomas.

I explained everything. Well.. except for the part where I was a spy and I was sent to keep Newt alive. I denied that part at all costs. But I explained that me and Thomas were interning at WICKED. That we were helping with this. I expected them all to get angry, but they didn't. 

"It doesn't matter." Newt said. "Any of it." I looked at him. "Because the people we were before the maze, they don't even exist anymore. These creators took care of that. But what does matter, is who we are now, and what we do right now. You went into the maze and found a way out" Newt said to Thomas, I looked at him? Wait, he did? When was that? I don't even remember...

"Yeah but if I hadn't Alby would still be alive." Thomas said.

"And if he were right now, he would be saying the same thing."

He was right. Thomas could find a way out of the maze, and that's exactly what we were going to do.