Enzo

I head up the stairs to Dani's room and stop at her door, knocking it lightly. "Come in!" her voice responds from behind the wooden barrier. With a gentle push, I open the door and step into the room.

As my eyes adjust to the dim lighting, I notice the scattered papers and books littering the room. Dani is sitting cross-legged on her bed, surrounded by a mess of notes and textbooks. It's clear that she's been hard at work studying.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" I ask, walking over to the bed and taking a seat at the foot of it. I glance at the papers she's been poring over, noticing the names of various types of dragons

She looks up from her work and gives me a soft smile. "Hey, Enz. I'm alright," she replies, stretching her arms. "Just trying to figure out the first task for the tournament. It's a lot, let me tell you," she adds with a hint of exhaustion in her voice.

I nod sympathetically, knowing how stressful this competition probably is for her. "Do you want some help?" I offer, reaching for one of the papers and examining it more closely.

Dani looks grateful for the offer and begins to explain the intricacies of the task. As she talks, I listen carefully and offer suggestions where I can. It feels good to be able to help her, even if it's just in a small way. 

Dani is one of my best friends. During our second year of schooling, I was still adjusting to a major life change. My family had moved from France and I was accepted at Hogwarts in the middle of the academic year. Needless to say, I was nervous about making new friends and starting over in a new school, but Dani was the first one I met. 

I remember sitting alone at the end of the Slytherin table when I saw Dani walk in with another girl, which so happened to be Pansy. Three boys accompanied them, which who I am now friends with; Draco, Mattheo, Theo.

"Hey, Dani, don't stress too much," I reassure her, setting down one of the papers and leaning back in my chair. "You're incredibly intelligent, and your skills speak for themselves. You've got this tournament in the bag."

A small smile tugs at Dani's lips, but it quickly fades. "It's not about me," she says, her brow furrowing. "It's Harry that I'm worried about."

I tilt my head, intrigued. "Why Harry?" I ask, genuinely curious. I know that she and her brother are close, but I don't see why he wouldn't be able to beat these events with ease like his sister will.

Dani takes a deep breath, her eyes focused as she explains, "I just feel that he relies too much on luck to get through. It's like he's always one step away from disaster, and it makes me nervous. I mean, personally, I know I can defend myself well because of the lessons you've given me. But with Harry..." She trails off, her expression filled with uncertainty.

"Well, you don't have to worry," I reassure her, a smile playing on my lips. "I've been working with Hermione the last couple of days to look the rules and regulations to see what strategies you and Harry can use in the upcoming challenge. And we've found something that could give both of you a significant advantage."

Her eyebrow raises in anticipation. "What's the advantage?" she asks eagerly.

I can't help but smile at her enthusiasm. "Well, both you and Harry are renowned for your exceptional skills on a broomstick," I say, nodding towards the Quidditch pitch which her room has a perfect view of. "We realized that there's no mention of broomsticks being off-limits for summoning spells. So, you could actually summon a broomstick with your wand and use it to gain andvantage."

Her eyes light up with excitement as she processes the idea. "Enzo, you're a genius!" she exclaims.

I can't help but laugh, "Honestly, it was all Hermione's brilliant find."

"You know," she begins, her tone softer now, "I'm grateful that you're friends with her and the others. It makes things a bit easier for us... for me..."

I nod in agreement, understanding the unspoken meaning behind her words. "Yes, it does. Now only to convince the rest of them to be more social with other houses."

She laughs, a hint of amusement in her voice. "Well, if you think about the reputation of Slytherin, they tend to adhere to it more than you and I do."

I nod again, acknowledging the truth in her words. "True, but we'll keep working on them. With a bit of persistence, we might just be able to break through their stubbornness."

She smiles warmly, "I appreciate you, Enz."

I shake my head, "It's no problem, Dani. Really." 

"So..." I continue, leaning in with interest, "How are things going with the whole Draco and Mattheo situation? It sounds like a lot to deal with."

Dani lets out a heavy sigh and leans back against her headboard. "Honestly, I'm trying not to think about it too much. My main concern right now is keeping Harry and I alive during this tournament."

I nod, "Of course, that's definitely a priority. But just know that I'm here for you if you need someone to talk to. I know you have Pansy to confide in, but if you ever want a different perspective or just a listening ear, I'm always here for you."

She looks at me gratefully, a hint of a smile on her lips. "Thank you, that means a lot. Actually, now that you mention it, there is something I wanted to talk to you about."

I sit up, ready to listen. "Okay, go ahead."

She twiddles her fingers nervously. "Well, I was wondering if you would want to be my date to the Yule Ball? Just as friends, of course."

I'm taken back for a moment, surprised but also flattered. "Really? You want to go with me?"

She nods enthusiastically, a smile lighting up her face. "Yes, only if you want to though. We don't have to, or if you have someone else in mind..." Her voice trails off, leaving the invitation open.

I shake my head, unable to resist her infectious enthusiasm. "No, no. I'd love to take you. But you know Mattheo and Draco would kill me, right?" I chuckle, half-joking, knowing the history between those two and the possessiveness they both have over her.

She nods knowingly, her eyes twinkling mischievously. "I know, but with everything going on between them, I just want a night of fun. Drama-free. Also... You're a really great dancer..." She trails off, a blush creeping onto her cheeks as she compliments me.

A warm feeling spreads through me at her words, and I can't help but grin. "Well, thank you. I am a pretty good dancer," I reply, teasingly.

She giggles, her laughter music to my ears. I haven't heard her actually laugh like this in a long time. We've all noticed it, the darkness around her. Ever since Mattheo ended things with her, she isn't herself. But there is something else about her... something we can't...

"So is that a yes?" she asks eagerly, her eyes searching mine for an answer. 

I shake the thoughts away and nod my head, my smile widening. "Yes, but I'll ask you the proper way. If I'm going to risk my life by the hands of those two, I better make all of this worth it. Especially for you, just in case that's the last night you ever see me again." I try to keep my tone light, but a hint of seriousness laces my words as I gaze into her eyes.

She shakes her head, her laughter fading into a tender expression. "You're ridiculous, but I appreciate the sentiment," she says softly. "Also... I don't think they would actually kill you, but I'll make sure they don't touch you." She grins.

"Why thank you. I am so happy to have a personal bodyguard with me." We both exchange glances, and start to laugh. It was just like old times...

Spotify Playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/46VHxfzjeGaNseC1ZlJdKg?si=9a4e8c0f7f0e4d26