Dani

❗️TW: Strong Language❗️

As I slowly open my eyes, I am greeted by the sun streaming through the window, gently illuminating the room. The soft hum of birds chirping outside adds to the peaceful atmosphere. I turn my head to the side and notice Draco sound asleep next to me. His features are serene, with a few strands of his blonde hair falling over his forehead. I can't help but feel a sense of contentment wash over me as I take in the sight of him.

As a child, Draco had been cursed by nightmares and sleepless nights. But now, it's as if the tables have turned, and he's the one who sleeps soundly, while I'm the one struggling to find rest. I watch him for a few moments, marveling at how peaceful he looks. 

I sit up slowly, careful not to wake him up. As I look down at him, I can't resist the urge to brush the stray strands of hair away from his face. Memories of the previous night come flooding back, and I can't help but feel a tinge of guilt for betraying Mattheo...

Mattheo and I used to be in this exact same position. I would wake up to find him sound asleep next to me, just like Draco is now. But things had changed, and our relationship had fallen apart. It's funny how life works sometimes; the person you once thought you would spend the rest of your life with could end up becoming a distant memory.

As I continue to brush Draco's hair away from his face, I can't help but wonder what I am doing. Part of me still loves Mattheo... but another part of me thinks I could love Draco. It is all so complicated. Why did they have to put me in this situation...

Suddenly, my attention was drawn to the black ink on his arm, partly hidden under the pillow. 

Was that there last night..?

Carefully, I reached out and pulled the pillow aside, revealing more of the inked mark. My heart dropped at the sight of the dark mark etched into his arm.

Draco stirred slightly, causing me to freeze in place. I held my breath, hoping he wouldn't wake up and discover me examining his arm. Fortunately, he settled back into a deep sleep, and I breathed a sigh of relief. 

As I fixated on the dark mark on Draco's arm, my heart sank further and a wave of emotions washed over me. I couldn't believe it. 

If Draco has it... do they all have it? Does Mattheo..?

As the weight of the situation settled in, I knew I couldn't just sit there and let my thoughts consume me. I had to act. I quickly got out of bed and found a pair of Draco's sweats and a t-shirt to throw on. I didn't bother with makeup or fixing my hair. My focus was solely on finding out what the hell was going on.

I marched down the hallway to Mattheo's room, my heart racing with each step. I didn't even bother knocking before barging in, causing the door to slam against the wall. Mattheo, Enzo, and Theo were startled by my sudden entrance and stared at me with wide eyes. 

Mattheo immediately stands up, his confusion evident in his face as he looks at me, "What's wrong?"

I storm towards him. Ignoring Enzo and Theo's presence, my anger begins to take over, "Show me, Mattheo."

"Show you what?"

I stop in front of Mattheo and he looks at my eyes. A sense of realization washes over him and he turns pale. 

"Dani..." Theo starts to say, but I ignore him

"Show me your arm, Mattheo! Right now!" I demand, my voice trembling with emotion. I can feel my eyes begin to gloss over. I have so much emotion running through me that I don't care if the others see.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Enzo stand up, "Dani, don't."

I ignore him, and continue to look at Mattheo. I grab his arm, lifting the sleeve of his sweatshirt to reveal the dark mark inked into his forearm.

My fingers tremble over the mark. I look up at Mattheo, and see the pain in his eyes. "Why didn't you tell me..?" I choke.

Mattheo's head shakes, "I can explain..." he says in a low voice, his eyes filled with remorse and sadness. His words make my heart race with anxiety and fear. What could he possibly explain that would make me feel any better about the dark mark on his arm? The mark that represented all the evil and darkness in the world, and the very thing that my brother and I had been fighting to survive against for years.

Just then, Pansy walks into the room, interrupting the tense silence. "Hey! What's everyone-" she starts to say before trailing off.

I don't turn to face her. Instead, I stare down at the dark mark on Mattheo's arm, feeling my heart shatter into a million pieces. I can't believe that the people I trusted the most had become their biggest fear. How could they have done this to me? How could he do this to me..?

"She knows, Pansy..." Enzo says quietly, breaking the silence. His voice is barely above a whisper, but the words carry the weight of the world.

"Dani...look at me," Mattheo says softly, but I can't bring myself to meet his gaze. If I do, I know that I won't be able to control my emotions. I can feel the tears threatening to spill over, and I fight to keep them at bay.

"Dani..." Mattheo places his finger under my chin, lifting my head up to look at him. I feel a single tear slide down my cheek, and he wipes it away with his thumb, knowing that I wouldn't want the others to see me cry. I hate it. I hate that he knows me too well. I hate that even in this moment I still feel something for him... 

Damn you, Mattheo Riddle.

"I'll explain everything to you, but please..." he trails off, his eyes pleading with me to understand.

"Dani, we aren't actually a part of them," Enzo interjects, breaking the tension. I turn to look at him, confused. "We are going to protect you and your brother," he continues, his voice filled with determination.

"Are you saying that you all will endanger your lives to protect us?" I shake my head as the realization dawns on me that some of them could be insiders for the enemy. "No, that's not acceptable." 

What if..?

"Dani, I know what you're thinking and I'm not going to let you do it." Mattheo says. 

I look back at him, frustration taking over, "You don't have a say in what I do, Mattheo. Especially if your life is on the line."

Mattheo's body tenses up. "Dani, don't argue with me," he sternly utters,  I'm aware that you're currently thinking of ways to help us, but trust me, whatever you do, you'll regret it. This matter is not open for discussion."

"I'll do whatever it takes to keep the people I care about safe, including keeping YOU safe," I snap.

Mattheo raises his voice, "If you're planning to do what I think you are, you'll end up getting yourself killed!"

I shake my head in frustration and feel my voice rising. "It doesn't matter if I die anyways! For fuck's sake, Mattheo! If I do die, at least I'll be keeping the one I love safe!"

I freeze and the room around us goes silent. Did I just admit to him that I still loved him? Mattheo stares at me for a moment, then looks at the others, "Can we get a minute?" 

As the others file out of the room, Mattheo steps closer to me. His eyes are searching mine, trying to decipher what I'm feeling. I want to look away, but I can't...