Draco

*A song that should be listened to when reading this is "Falling Apart" by Michael Schulte*

"Hey... can we talk?" 

As I glanced back, my eyes met Dani's figure standing at the stairway of the Astronomy tower. A surge of emotions washed over me, but I restrained myself from uttering a word. Instead, I turned my gaze outward, captivated by the darkness that enveloped the surroundings, its veil gently illuminated by the moon's ethereal glow. The lake shimmered in response, reflecting the celestial light with a serene elegance.

I could hear the soft sound of Dani's footsteps drawing nearer. Her voice broke the silence. "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for everything that has happened in the last couple of months..."

My head shook almost instinctively as I shifted my attention towards her presence, leaning against the railing beside me. "No, it should be me who apologizes," I replied, my voice laced with sincerity. "I placed you in a complicated situation, and for that, I am truly sorry." Pausing briefly, I added, "Had I known that Mattheo ended things solely to protect you, I wouldn't have even attempted to intervene."

Dani shook her head gently, her eyes reflecting a mix of gratitude and understanding. "Don't say that," she implored, her voice filled with a genuine warmth. "I'm grateful that you tried. I have no regrets about us."

Confusion flickered across my face as I looked at her, my eyes searching for clarity amidst the tangle of emotions. "You don't?" I asked, my voice tinged with both surprise and curiosity.

She shakes her head, her expression filled with a mix of sadness and determination. "Draco, not a single part of me regrets it. A part of me truly believed that I could move on from Mattheo. I thought I could love you as much as I love him. But..."

"But he is the love of your life," I interject, understanding the depth of her feelings.

She nods, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "He is."

"I'm glad that you two have each other," I admit, swallowing the hint of longing that grips my heart.

"Draco," she says softly, taking my hand in hers. "You are my best friend. You know me inside out, just as I know you. You hold a significant piece of my heart, and that will never change. I love you, and all I want is for you to be happy because you deserve it. Out of all of us, you should be the one who finds the most happiness."

Her fingers intertwine with mine, and I find solace in her touch as she continues, her voice filled with genuine affection. "I know that somewhere out there is a girl who will give you the epic love you deserve. And I'm sorry that it wasn't me. In a different life, maybe things would have been different, but for this one, it's not meant to be."

"You really think so?" I raise my gaze to meet hers, searching for reassurance.

She nods, her eyes filled with a mix of sadness and hope. "I know so."

"Can I do one more stupid thing?" I ask, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Yes," she replies, her voice equally soft and understanding.

With a gentle touch, I release my hand from hers and delicately brush a strand of her hair away from her face, keeping my hand on the back of her head as I gaze into her eyes, hesitating. "It's okay," she whispers, her breath warm against my skin.

I find myself drawn to her lips, unable to resist the magnetic pull between us. Leaning in, I kiss her softly, pouring my emotions into that final farewell. She kisses me back, returning the bittersweet satisfaction of our last connection. In that moment, there is no guilt or regret, only raw passion.

Reluctantly, I slowly pull away, resting my forehead against hers. "Mattheo would be furious if he found out about this," I confess, the weight of reality settling upon me.

She shakes her head beneath mine, her voice filled with conviction. "No, he wouldn't. He would understand."

I nod against her head, finding comfort in her words. "Do you think we could ever go back to how things were before? How we used to be?"

She pulls away from me slightly, her gaze filled with longing. "I want that more than anything," she admits, her voice laced with a hint of vulnerability.

She hugs me, her arms wrapping tightly around my torso, as if trying to imprint this moment deep within her being. I responded instinctively, my own arms encircling her, cherishing the warmth and intimacy we shared. Pressing my lips gently against the top of her head, I let the affectionate gesture convey the depth of my emotions.

In a hushed whisper, barely audible amidst the beating of our hearts, she uttered my name, "Draco?" I turned my attention to her, eager to hear what was on her mind. Her head rested against my shoulder, unmoving, as if seeking solace in the sanctuary of our connection. "Promise me you won't forget this..."

Confusion briefly clouded my thoughts, unsure of the gravity behind her request. Sensing my confusion, she leaned away, her eyes meeting mine. It was evident that something troubled her deeply, an internal struggle she battled silently. I saw the flicker of pain in her eyes, a silent plea for reassurance and preservation.

Without hesitation, I nodded in affirmation, my commitment unwavering. "I promise," I replied. "I could never forget this moment or all of our others."

A nod of acknowledgement followed her whispered hope, an acknowledgment tinged with uncertainty. I sensed the weight of unspoken worries burdening her, a future that felt uncertain. Rather than prying into the depths of her mind, I chose to offer her the reassurance she sought. It was a promise I intended to keep...

"I hope not," she responded, her voice a fragile echo of longing and apprehension.