Harry

I found myself in the Great Hall, surrounded by the familiar presence of Hermione and Ron as we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast. However, the tranquility of the moment was abruptly shattered when Ron's gaze shifted towards the entrance, his expression filled with surprise and curiosity.

"Why is Riddle coming our way?" Ron's voice held a tinge of concern.

My eyes widened, a mixture of apprehension and worry filling my mind. Yet, I managed to maintain my composure as I continued to observe Ron and Hermione. In a hushed tone, I inquired, "What do you mean he's coming our way? Is my sister with him?"

Hermione shook her head, her expression reflecting a mix of sympathy and caution. "No, but both of you should try to be civil. He means something to her."

Dani and Mattheo had been in a relationship for three long years. However, their relationship had taken an unexpected turn, resulting in a heartbroken Dani right before the start of summer. The reasons behind Mattheo's sudden departure remained a mystery to both Dani and me. I had never held a favorable opinion of him or the company he kept, but Mattheo Riddle stood out as someone I particularly disliked. The countless nights spent consoling Dani as she tried to pick up the shattered pieces of her heart were emotionally devastating. Witnessing her endure such pain was an experience I hoped never to relive.

Suddenly, a familiar voice interrupted my thoughts, sending a wave of mixed emotions through me. "Hey," Mattheo's voice resonated from behind me. "Mind if I join you guys for a few minutes?"

I turned around, meeting Mattheo's gaze, and after a moment's hesitation, I nodded with reserved acceptance. "Sure, go ahead."

As Mattheo took a seat among us, I braced myself for the upcoming interaction, unsure of what awaited us in these seemingly innocent moments. "Thanks. So what are guys up to?"

I shake my head, feeling a mix of frustration and curiosity. "How about we skip to the part about why you're talking to us?" I direct my gaze towards Mattheo, who wears a mischievous grin on his face. An inkling of suspicion creeps into my mind, and I can't help but question his motives. "Did my sister send you or something?" I snap, my voice laced with skepticism.

Mattheo turns on the bench, meeting my gaze directly. There's a determined glint in his eyes as he speaks. "Look, I get it. You don't like me. I can't say that I'm particularly fond of you either... but I want to change that."

His unexpected words catch me off guard, and I look at him with a mixture of confusion and surprise. Why would he even want to change our dynamic? I swiftly dismiss the thought, determined to maintain my reservations. "You may have managed to earn my sister's trust, Riddle. But I don't trust you," I assert, my tone firm.

He responds with a slight smile, his voice carrying a hint of understanding. "You don't have to trust me, Potter. But the truth is, we're on the same side."

I can't help but scoff in disbelief. "I highly doubt we're on the same side," I retort, my skepticism clearly apparent.

Hermione, who has been quietly observing the exchange, speaks up with curiosity lacing her voice. "What do you mean we're on the same side?"

Mattheo's attention shifts towards Hermione, his eyes fixed on her. "I think you know what I mean, Granger," he replies, his voice measured and composed. Then, his gaze returns to me, and he continues, determination evident in his voice. "Look, I understand your protectiveness over your sister. I actually value that trait in you. But you'll never fully grasp the depth of love I have for her. And that's precisely why I want to start making things right between us."

I narrow my eyes at him, my skepticism mixing with a tinge of anger. "Love you have for her? Wasn't it you who ended things with her right before summer? That's some kind of love if it had her crying all night."