Mattheo

The days leading up to the tournament were dwindling, and an air of nervousness engulfed Dani as she sat in her window nook. Curled up with her arms wrapped tightly around her knees, she gazed out the window, raindrops cascading down the glass. Sensing her unease, I approached her and knelt down by her side.

"Love?" I spoke gently, trying to break through her state of solitude. "Tell me what's on your mind."

Her eyes still fixated on the rain outside. Shaking her head, she murmured, "It's nothing..."

Taking her hand in mine, I got her to look at me. "Dani, something is troubling you. Is it about the next round?" I gently brushed a stray strand of hair behind her ear, a gesture of comfort. "Please, talk to me."

She nodded, her eyes meeting mine briefly. "I just have this unsettling feeling, Mattheo. Something doesn't feel right. It's as if something bad is going to happen..."

"Love, it's natural to feel nervous. Dumbledore won't allow anything to harm you or Harry. We all know you two are his favorite students." I reassured her, hoping to ease her worries.

Dani's gaze returned to the rain, her hands intertwined with mine, gripping tightly. I could sense her fear like never before. "You can't promise that nothing will happen," she stated, her eyes still fixed on the window. "But I appreciate your gesture."

I nodded, acknowledging her point. It was true—I couldn't make absolute guarantees. Yet, I was determined to do everything in my power to ensure her safety. "I understand... but know that I will always protect you and keep you safe. You know that, right?"

Dani nodded, a flicker of relief in her eyes. "I know..."

With a gentle touch, I cupped her cheek, causing her to close her eyes and lean into my hand. "I won't lose you again," I whispered, the weight of those words hanging in the air. She nodded, placing her hand atop mine, cherishing the connection we shared.

"If something were to happen—"

I interrupted her, shaking my head vigorously. "Nothing is going to happen." I averted my gaze, attempting to push away the unsettling notion. Nothing would happen. Absolutely nothing.

"Mattheo..." Dani's voice brought my attention back to her, her gaze locked on mine. "If something happens to me in there, promise me you'll take care of Harry. Please..." Her words lingered in the silence, and I absorbed their weight. She believed that something might happen, something from which she might not return...

I sat in quiet contemplation, grappling with her request. "Always... but remember, nothing is going to happen, okay?"She nodded, and then, in a tender moment, leaned down to press a soft kiss against my lips.

Dani

After Mattheo fell asleep, I quietly made my way through the dimly lit corridors of Hogwarts towards Snape's office. The flickering torches cast eerie shadows on the stone walls, adding to the sense of urgency that drove me forward. I reached Snape's door and knocked gently, waiting for him to invite me in. He opened the door, his sharp gaze meeting mine as he recognized me.

"Ms. Potter, it is late," Snape remarked with a hint of concern in his voice.

I nodded solemnly, fully aware of the late hour. "I know, Professor, but I need to be reassured that you won't forget about the vow." Snape opened the door wider, allowing me to enter and shutting the door behind me.

Snape crossed his arms. "If Voldemort suspects any connection between your friends and you, I am to obliviate all memories they have of you. I understand the gravity of the situation, Ms. Potter."

My heart sank at the thought of my friends losing their memories of me, but I had to ensure their safety. "Please, Professor, do whatever it takes to keep them safe."

He nodded, a flicker of something resembling compassion crossing his features. "I will do everything within my power to protect them," Snape assured me.

As he stared at me for a moment. "I'll never understand you, Potters." His tone was bitter.

Curiosity and a touch of defiance sparked within me. "What do you mean?"

Snape shook his head. "You're just like your mother, full of hope despite the darkness that surrounds you. You also have the willingness to risk your life for people who do not deserve it."

His words resonated deep within me, stirring emotions and memories. I locked eyes with Snape, seeking to make him understand. "Professor, I never had a choice in the path that was chosen for me. I was destined for a life immersed in darkness. But did my friends have a choice when they received the dark mark? No."

A surge of frustration coursed through me. "Do you think everyone here had the luxury of choosing their upbringing, living in constant fear of Voldemort's return, lurking in the shadows? It only takes one person, one act of kindness or bravery, to change the trajectory of a life. That's why I hold onto hope. That's why I would risk everything for anyone, because they deserve a life where they can truly live."

I walked closer to the door, turning back to face Snape. Determination burned within me. "If I am the price to ensure their safety and grant them that chance at life, then so be it. I've long accepted my fate, but I will fight with every fiber of my being to protect and safeguard the ones I love."

It was true; I had made peace with my destiny a long time ago. The nerves that plagued me in the face of the upcoming tournament were not for my own sake, but rather for the potential consequences that my loved ones might face if anything were to happen to me.

I knew I wasn't a conventional hero, nor did I aspire to be one. But I had been told countless times that I cared too much. Yet, who cared about that? I embraced my capacity for caring deeply, for it was what drove me to fight for justice and bring about positive change in a world that was teetering on the edge of darkness.

God... maybe I should have ended up in Gryffindor.

***

 Today marked the last round of the tournament. The morning dawned early, yet neither Mattheo nor I could find peace in sleep. The gravity of the situation finally sank in for him, realizing that this last round would be the most dangerous of all.

Seeking comfort, I nestled against Mattheo's chest, seeking solitude in his embrace. We both held onto the moment, desperately hoping it would stretch out indefinitely. However, an overwhelming sense of unease enveloped me, as fear surged through my veins like never before.

"Mattheo..." I gazed up into his eyes, my voice trembling. "I'm scared..."

Mattheo clutched me tighter, pressing a tender kiss against my forehead. "I know... but you have what it takes. Okay? You've beat the previous challenges, and you can beat this one too. Just remember everything Enzo taught you."

I nodded, resting my head back on his chest, finding comfort in the rhythmic beat of his heart. It soothed my nerves, while Mattheo's gentle fingers caressed my hair, further easing my anxiety. Oh, how I wished I could suspend this moment in time, preserving its tenderness forever.

"I love you, Mattheo..." I whispered, my voice barely audible.

"I love you, always," he murmured against my hair, planting a loving kiss atop my head. A silence settled between us, each second filled with unspoken emotions. Then, Mattheo's voice carried softly on the air, "Please come back to me..."

Smiling against his chest, I reassured him, "I'll always come back to you."

"I wish your name had never been drawn for this stupid tournament," he confessed, a touch of seriousness tainting his tone.

My smile waned, replaced by a shared understanding. "I know... but fate had other plans. Now I must finish it." Looking up at him, I committed his image to memory, savoring the contours of his face before stealing one last kiss, bracing myself for the ultimate challenge that awaited me in the final round.