Mattheo

As I observe the dance floor, I catch sight of Draco making his way over to Dani. She smiles at something he says and wraps her arms around his neck, swaying her body in rhythm with the music. My heart clenches with envy as Draco places his hands on her hips and rests his head on hers. I turn away, not wanting to witness their intimate moment any longer. I take a swig of whiskey from the bottle I've been drinking out of all night, hoping to numb the pain.

Enzo plops down next to me on the couch. "You know, staring at her isn't going to change anything, right?"

"I know," I reply, gesturing with the bottle. "But this helps."

Theo lights up a cigarette and takes a puff before chiming in. "You never told us why you two broke up."

I take another gulp of whiskey, trying to ignore the pang in my chest at the memory. "It's complicated," I mutter, not wanting to dive into the messy details of our breakup.

Enzo raises an eyebrow. "We've got time. Spill it."

I let out a heavy sigh, fully aware that my friends were not going to let go of the subject anytime soon. "You have to understand, I didn't have a choice," I began, my voice heavy with the weight of the situation. "Snape made it clear that I had to end things with Dani, or else my father would see her in my thoughts when he returned."

There was a moment of silence before Enzo spoke up, "But that can't be the only reason, can it?"

I took a long swig from the bottle in my hand, gathering my thoughts. "No, it's not," I admitted. "Snape believes that if Dani found out about my dark mark, she would do something reckless to protect us."

Theo looked at me curious. "What do you think she would do?" he asked.

I let out a bitter laugh. "You've seen it before, I know you have." I said, leaning forward. "She's not like Harry there is some darkness in her... She was sorted into Slytherin for a reason." 

I remember the moment when Harry was called up to the front to be sorted into his Hogwarts house. As he sat down on the stool and the sorting hat was placed on his head, there seemed to be no hesitation in the hat's decision as it sorted him effortlessly into Gryffindor.

However, when it came to Dani, the sorting hat remained silent for what felt like an eternity. Anticipation hung in the air as everyone held their breath, waiting for the hat to declare her fate.

I remember the sorting hat shouting out the unexpected word "Slytherin." All the students seemed shocked by the decision, especially since Harry was just put into Gryffindor. But what stood out to me the most was the complete lack of surprise on Dani's face.

It was a moment that left a lasting impression on me, as I couldn't help but wonder what it was about Dani that had caused the sorting hat to hesitate before sorting her into Slytherin. 

However, now I can see why. Dani is one of the most ambitious people I have ever met. She is highly intelligent and cunning. And the determination on that girl... god, she is remarkable. However, just like the rest of us Slytherins, she has a bit of darkness that lives inside of her. A darkness that I am sure would have consumed her if she didn't have us.

Enzo furrowed his brow, clearly confused. "What are you saying, Mattheo?"

I shake away the memory and leaned back on the couch, my mind racing with thoughts. "I'm saying that she would do whatever it takes to protect us, even if that means becoming a death eater," I said, looking over at her. "And I won't let that happen."

As I glance over at Dani, I notice that she's still in the middle of the dance floor with Draco, their bodies moving in perfect synchrony. Dani leans in and whispers something in Draco's ear, and my jealousy quickly comes over me. 

Draco nods in response to whatever Dani has told him, and a smile spreads across her face. She takes his hand, and together they make their way off the dance floor, disappearing into the crowd.

As I bring the bottle to my lips and chug the remaining liquid, knowing that they aren't just leaving to chat.