Chapter 1

From the teachings of The Radiant Path, the Book of Arcana, written in the Pure Tongue

Quel amrunyë lá, meril nai elenath.

Better to be without words, than to use those you don't fully understand.

Eira stood in the middle of the royal training yard, taking deep breaths as she focused on the swirling flames in her hands. The heat emanating from her magic was intense, but she was more than used to it by now. Freya and Fëandil stood on either side of her, their eyes fixed on her hands as they moved with practiced ease.

Fëandil, with his icy powers, had always been a natural complement to Eira's fire magic. Together, they had learned to control the elements with a level of precision that few other mages could match. Freya, on the other hand, brought her expertise as an archer and swordsman to their training sessions. Her keen eye and swift reflexes helped Eira to hone her combat skills. The two of them, twins of the King's Chief of the Royal Guard, were like mirror images of each other. Sunkissed olive skin, deep chestnut hair, and striking hazel-green eyes.

As Eira continued to focus on her magic, she felt a sense of calm wash over her. The twins were always ready with suggestions or critiques and had already helped me make quite a few improvements today.

"Remember to keep your breathing steady," Freya reminded her, voice calm and reassuring. "And don't forget to keep your movements fluid."

Fëandil nodded in agreement. "You're doing great, Eira," he said. "Just keep your focus."

Eira closed her eyes and let her magic flow. She felt the power building within her, and Freya and Fëandil exchanged a knowing look, aware of Eira's tendency to get carried away. They had seen her unleash her magic in ways that had both impressed and terrified them, and they were always on guard when she was training.

Arin, her childhood friend and fellow courtly mage in training watched from a safe distance.

Her childhood training partner and best friend. Some days she was amazed they had found their way back to each other. When Eira had arrived at the castle months ago with Freya and Fëandil to accept the King's summons, she had sought him immediately after asking if he still attended court here. She had found him flirting with a group of young ladies by the stables, and when he had seen her, he had turned away quite rudely from a lady who was attempting to climb upon a mare, leaving her to fall out of the saddle with an indignant huff.

They both had tears in their eyes as they raced for the other, falling to the ground in a solid embrace. He had grown into a fine young man since they had been children, his skin the rich color of hazelnut and his cropped white hair gleaming in contrast.

They had laughed through their tears, and Arin had said, "I knew you had survived. I just couldn't stand the thought of losing the only fire mage who would talk to me."