Chapter 7.5

The sun was gone. All that was left was her despair, ice, and the roaring of snow. Eira found herself stirring awake to the sound of the strong flapping of wings, and then...

A proud whinny caused her to awaken completely. There, in the midst of the blinding snow, she saw something that made her question her crumbling sanity. It was a creature of pure beauty, its wings as white as the snow around her, and its coat shimmering like diamonds in the icy night. It descended slowly, gracefully, landing softly on the ground beside her.

Eira couldn't believe what she was seeing. She could see the creature's breath misting in the air, and the oppressive cold pressed into her body was a constant reminder that she wasn't dead, not yet, but everything else seemed unreal, like a dream.

As the pegasus approached her, she noticed that its eyes were a piercing blue, and for a moment, Eira felt like it was looking right through her, into the depths of her soul. And then, she noticed what it carried in its mouth.

It was her violin, completely unharmed, the scroll of the instrument held ever so gently in the mouth of the horse as if it were some type of pipe it was smoking.

She watched, mesmerized, as the creature leaned down to her until its iridescent horn was inches from her face. With numb fingers, she reached a hand up to the horn, surprised by the warmth she felt there. The contact was almost blistering against the chill in her body. Tears welled in her eyes again as she brought her hand down to the violin in the horse's mouth. She could feel the cool, rough texture of its lips against her fingers as she felt her instrument.

The pegasus nickered, its steady gaze still on her as if it say, let's go already. Slowly, Eira wrapped her arms around its strong neck, and the pegasus pulled her to her feet. She stood there, swaying in the strong winds. The horse nickered, and then turned and began to walk away, the violin still in its mouth. Eira watched it go, unable to move, the snow whipping around her.

As the pegasus walked, it seemed to shimmer, as if its very existence was tenuous, a figment of her imagination. It had to be.

But then, as the pegasus reached the edge of her vision, it suddenly looked back at her. Eira saw a glimmer in its eyes, a sense of intelligence and understanding that she had never seen in any animal before. The pegasus was trying to tell her something, to guide her through the snow and help her find her way back to the pass.

With a start, Eira forced herself to push forward, legs weak from the cold, and follow the creature through the snow. The sound of its hooves crunching on the icy ground guided her through snowbanks, and she craned her neck to where she had tumbled, then back to the horse in front of her.

She caught up with the horse and tried to speak. Her voice was broken as she spoke, "Wait. I'm not strong enough. I'll never make it."

The pegasus whinnied, as if in response to Eira's words. She couldn't believe it - was this actually happening? She shook her head, trying to dispel the thoughts from her mind. Eira approached the pegasus, and it lowered its head as if inviting her to climb onto its back. Eira hesitated for a moment, but tentatively reached out for the pegasus's white coat. It was real, it was solid, it was warm, and it was carrying her forward.

She could hear the sound of the pegasus's strong wings as they scaled the pass and the occasional soft neighing of the horse. As she regained clarity, she also heard a faint whisper. She blinked, trying to clear her vision, but the whisper persisted.

As if emerging from a haze, Eira saw her mother standing on the other side of the pegasus, smiling at her with a kind expression. Eira froze, certain her heart had stopped beating. She looked just as she remembered, her attention immediately catching on red hair that shimmered like fire in the darkness of the night. Even as a child, Eira had known that her mother's hair had always been the envy of the court, a true sign of her skill as a fire mage, and it was said that it was so long and thick that it could easily reach her ankles when she let it down.

It was currently coiled around her head in a braided crown, as it had so often been. Her features were delicate and angular, with high cheekbones and a perfectly chiseled jawline. Bright, piercing green eyes returned her own with love that almost broke her.

"Eira," her mother said, her voice echoing in the wind. "Do not lose heart, my child. You have always been strong, and you will overcome this trial. Remember the wisdom of our people, and always keep it close to your heart."

Eira was overwhelmed with emotion at the sound of her mother's voice. She had missed her so much, and hearing her words of encouragement made her heart swell.

"Mama," Eira whispered, tears streaming down her face. "I'm so lost. I don't know what to do."

Her mother smiled at her and placed a gentle hand on her cheek. It passed through her. "You are not lost, my child. You have simply strayed from the path. But you have the strength to find your way back."

Eira shook her head. "But how, Mama? How do I find my way?"

Her mother looked at her with a twinkle in her eye. "Think back to the wisdom of our people, Eira. Remember what you have been taught."

Eira closed her eyes and took a deep breath, trying to remember the teachings of her people. "The path to success is often difficult and fraught with danger," she recited, "but with perseverance and the guidance of the wise, one can overcome any obstacle."

Her mother smiled; her eyes filled with pride. "That's right, Fëanáro. You are strong and wise, just like the great leaders of our people. Trust in yourself, and trust in the guidance of the Pegasus. It will lead you to safety."

Fëanáro. Spirit of fire. She had almost forgotten that affectionate nickname. A wave of new emotion washed over Eira, but not that of despair, but of hope. She was not alone.

Her mother continued to speak to her in the Pure Tongue as the pegasus continued the trek up the mountain, the words rolling off her tongue like honey. Eira couldn't understand everything, but she knew her mother was encouraging her, telling her to be strong and to keep going.

Eira recognized the bend of the treacherous path she had started upon after what could have either minutes or hours. Her eyes caught on something in the middle of the ground. It was her pack, seemingly untouched. She dismounted from the horse in a rush, opening the pack and looking through it. Everything was there, just as she had left it. She collapsed onto the ground, gasping for breath and overwhelmed with relief.

Her head whipped to look for her mother, but she was not there. Had she ever been there? For a few moments, she lay there, panting, and feeling grateful for the presence of her mother. Maybe she had not been here in a physical form, but Eira had felt her presence like a warm embrace. Then, she sat up and looked around, trying to get her bearings. The path was still treacherous, and the snow was still falling,

She shouldered the pack, then looked back to the pegasus and it nickered, approaching with her violin still in its gentle mouth.

She took it and wrapped it carefully before placing it back into its case. Her legs still wobbled, and she had to lean on the pegasus led her through the pass, its hooves barely touching the ground, and its wings beating the air. Eira followed it, shivering in the cold.

Snow and window pelted them as they continued down the pass, and soon Eira could barely see in front of her own feet. She only knew that the pegasus was still there thanks to the strength of its body at her side. Her vision began to fade as they pushed forward. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, she saw the lights of Dun Faerdor ahead. With renewed strength, she pushed through to the town, searching for an inn.

She found one and practically fell through the door. She collapsed onto the ground, breathing heavily. Eira dimly was aware that the Innkeeper was rushing for her with a concerned look on her face and she had the consciousness to roll two gold coins out of her bag before letting darkness overtake her.

***

**Vote, comment and follow me!!**

Ahhh, finally, I got to write about the pegasus! It was super fun to write about and this definitely won't be the only time we see the Pegasus... 🤍