Chapter 6

From the teachings of The Radiant Path, the Book of Comrades, written in the Pure Tongue 

Melinyel, nai elenath, i eleni lirimaer ar i lairelosse naa esselya

Listen, my elves, for the music is a sparkling gem and a golden treasure of our world.

Eira passed the time by either reading, playing her violin, or conversing with Montgomery the Magnificent. After their first night, the Lindalumë had been out of sight, but she had felt drained regardless.

As the carriage jostled over a rough patch of road, Eira was jolted out of her book. While Montgomery was very adept at conversation, as she had found out, he seemed to have a talent for finding even the smallest bump in the road as they traveled.

She glared up at Montgomery's position at the head of the carriage. She opened the window so she could talk to him.

"Could you be more careful?" she snapped. "You're going to give me whiplash!"

Montgomery let out a long-suffering sigh. "My apologies, Princess," he said. "But this is hardly the smoothest road I've ever traveled."

"I don't care," Eira retorted. "Just try to avoid the bumps, will you?"

Montgomery chuckled. "Of course, Princess," he said. "Anything for your comfort."

Eira pinched the bridge of her nose, and let out a sigh. "Don't call me Princess," she said. "I don't use that name anymore. Call me something else."

Montgomery turned his skeletal head back to her, vibrant green eyes seeming surprised. "Something else?" he repeated.

"Yeah," Eira said, warming to the idea. "How about this? You can call me Eira, and I'll call you something else, too. Like... Monty."

Montgomery looked slightly taken aback. "Monty?" he repeated.

Eira shrugged. "Yeah, why not? It's short for Montgomery, and it's a lot easier to say. Plus, I like it."

Montgomery chuckled. "As you wish, Princess--Eira," he corrected himself when she glared at him. "From now on, I shall be known as Monty."

"Monty," Eira said, with a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Do you have any hidden talents? Maybe something you've been hiding from me?"

Monty chuckled. "I don't know about hidden talents, but I do have a love for animals. Unfortunately, for some reason, they always seem to run away from me, even the little rabbits."

Eira laughed. "Maybe they're afraid of your magic. Or maybe it's just your face," she teased, sticking her tongue out at him.

"Hey now, my face is my best feature," he said, sharp teeth flashing in a grin.

Eira only patted his shoulder. "Sure it is, Monty. Sure it is."

They both laughed, and the carriage rattled on down the road.