Chapter 6.5

They continued up the stairs and into their room, ready to get some rest. Once inside, Eira collapsed onto her bed with a sigh.

Monty stood in the corner, green eyes glowing faintly in the darkness. After a moment of silence, he spoke up. "You know, familiars don't actually need to sleep. It's a common misconception among mortals."

Eira groaned. "Of course, they don't," she said, rolling over to face him. "Why didn't you tell me that earlier? I could have used your help on watch when we were traveling on the road."

"I didn't think it was necessary," Monty replied with a shrug. "But I'll keep an eye out tonight. Something feels...wrong about this place."

Eira sat up in bed, now fully awake. "What do you mean, Monty? Do you sense danger nearby?"

Monty nodded, his fingers curling into fists. "Yes, there's something off about this place. I can feel it in my bones."

Eira looked around the room nervously, her mind racing with possible threats. "Should we be doing something? Alerting the others?"

Monty shook his head. "No, let's not cause unnecessary panic. I'll keep watch and wake you if anything happens. You need your rest, Eira."

Eira nodded reluctantly, pulling the blankets up to her chin. "Okay, Monty. Just...be careful, okay?"

"Always, Princess," Monty replied with a smile, settling into a corner of the room to keep watch. 

Eira closed her eyes, but sleep seemed to evade her. The weight of Monty's warning hung heavy in the air, and she couldn't shake the feeling that danger was lurking just beyond the walls of their inn.

Eventually, though, exhaustion won out. With a final glance at the familiar, Eira closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep, the soft sound of Monty's tapping claws on his seat providing comforting background noise.

 With a final glance at the familiar, Eira closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep, the soft sound of Monty's tapping claws on his seat providing comforting background noise

As the night grew darker, Eira was shaken awake from eerie whispers echoing through the inn's walls. She shivered, pulling her blanket tighter around her shoulders. It was too cold for drafts, but she couldn't explain the chill in the air. She tried to ignore it and drift off to sleep, but the whispers grew louder and more insistent.

Suddenly, a hand touched her shoulder, and she bolted upright.

"Monty?" She asked uncertainly. She looked around the room but saw no one there. That damn familiar, he had left her alone!

She could feel a presence in the room as if someone was watching her.

"Eira," a voice whispered, and she jumped again. "Eira, please help us."

She looked around frantically, trying to locate the source of the voice. But there was no one there. Eira tried to settle back into her bed, tried to ignore the eerie whispers and cold drafts, the sounds grew louder and more urgent.