Chapter 8

From the teachings of The Radiant Path, the Book of Hubris, written in the Pure Tongue

Aranya-nín, na lanta seldë tiel i cirya, ar i roina hresta ólë yassen

The dance beneath the moon and the veil hides all within you

Eira was surprised to find she was not dead. No, she instead awoke to find herself in a soft bed and comfortable pillows. The pounding of her temples was a definite sign she was still alive. She felt something warm on her forehead and found there was a warm rag resting there after raising a hand to inspect it.

As she opened her eyes, Eira saw a kind-looking woman with greying hair standing over her, holding a bowl of steaming broth. The woman smiled at Eira, relief evident on her face.

"You're awake," the woman said in a soothing voice. "I was starting to worry. You've been out for a while."

Eira tried to sit up but winced in pain, realizing her body was still sore from her journey through the mountains.

"Easy now," the woman said, placing a gentle hand on Eira's shoulder. "You took quite a fall, my dear. What were you doing out in the mountains alone?"

Eira struggled to recall what had happened. She remembered the pegasus guiding her, but beyond that, her memory was hazy.

"I...I was trying to cross the mountain pass," Eira said weakly.

The woman clucked her tongue sympathetically. "That's a treacherous path. You're lucky to have made it this far. You must be truly desperate to make such a trek in these conditions."

Eira's heart sank as she realized she did not know what happened to the pegasus that had been her guide. "What happened to the horse?" she asked, her voice quivering with emotion.

The innkeeper looked at Eira quizzically. "Horse? I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about. You stumbled into Dur Faerdor last night on your own, muttering in a language no one could understand. You scared the hell out of us, half-frozen to death and jabbering like a possessed demon."

Eira shook her head insistently. "No, I was following a pegasus. It was leading me back to the pass. It helped me get here, to Dur Faerdor."

The woman looked at Eira with concern. Eira detested the pity in her eyes. "I'm sorry, my dear, but there was no pegasus. You must have been hallucinating. You were in quite bad shape, after all. Many folks see what is not truly there when they are that close to death."

Eira felt tears prick at the corners of her eyes. Had it all been a dream? Was she truly alone in her journey?

The innkeeper seemed to sense her distress and patted her hand gently. "Now, now, don't worry. You're safe here. And you've already paid for your stay with those two gold coins you had on you. You're welcome to rest as long as you need to before heading on your way."