Chapter 2.5

As the days passed, her ban from the library was a thorn in her side, nagging at her every day. She felt like a caged bird, trapped in her monotonous routine as a courtier. 

She felt her temporary banishment from the library as keenly as a physical wound, and she couldn't help but feel a sense of injustice. It wasn't her fault that she had stumbled upon the forbidden tome. 

She had been searching for answers, for knowledge that could help her understand her magic and her place in the world. And now, that knowledge was being withheld from her.

She knew she deserved the punishment, and perhaps more, but still, she yearned for knowledge and the resources that the library provided. Without access to the volumes of new information, she had to make do with the books and resources she had in her own personal collection, which was far less extensive than what the palace library offered.

Despite her better judgment, Eira could not resist the temptation to sneak into the library. She would slip in during quiet hours, her heart racing with fear of being caught. She knew the risks, but the pull of the knowledge and information contained within the walls of the library was too strong to resist. 

Eira found herself sneaking into the library more and more frequently.

Eira had been engrossed in a particularly fascinating book about the colors of fire when she heard footsteps approaching. Her heart racing, she quickly shoved the book into her bag and turned to leave. 

The royal librarian stood before her, his eyes blazing with anger. "Eira," he said, his voice cold and sharp. "What are you doing here? You know you're banned from the library."

Of course, she knew she was banned. 

It wasn't like the librarian had missed a chance to remind her every time she entered the room. She schooled her features into a look of contrition, even though she couldn't help feeling a little smug at the thought of outsmarting the fussy old scholar.

Eira tried to stammer out an excuse, but the words died in her throat. She knew she had no excuse, and the librarian knew it too. He towered over her, his disapproval palpable.

"You should be ashamed of yourself," he said, his voice low and menacing. "I could report you to the King, you know. And what then? Do you really want to jeopardize the small amount of favor you've found within this court?"

Eira felt a hot flush rise to her cheeks. She knew the librarian was right, but she wasn't some meek little bird that would be scared off by a stuffy old librarian. But she knew she had to play the game if she wanted to keep her access to the library. She lowered her gaze and murmured another apology, trying to look as penitent as possible.

The librarian's sharp eyes narrowed, but he finally relented. "See that you don't," he said, his tone still sharp. "The library is not a playground for the likes of you. It is a place of serious study and research, and you are not welcome here until you can take it more seriously and treat it with the respect it deserves."

She had a feeling that he wasn't just referring to the library. Still, she knew that the librarian was not someone to be trifled with. She would have to tread carefully around him if she ever wanted to be allowed back in the library. Eira felt a lump form in her throat as she left the library and held herself back from cursing the scholar. 

She did deserve this, after all. He was not wrong.

One evening, Eira was feeling particularly restless. The full moon seemed to illuminate her room just as brightly as the sun, making sleep impossible She had grown tired of the same routine, day in and day out. She decided to take a risk and sneak into the library, hoping to find something new to read.