Chapter 5.5

Eira had tried and failed to fall asleep to the movements of the carriage as it took her further and further from her home. She found herself reaching for her violin case and began to play absentmindedly on the instrument.

First, she began with arpeggios. Then, she continued with scales, trying to warm up her fingers. As Eira played, the notes of her violin filled the carriage. It was a familiar comfort to her, something that she could always turn to when she needed to clear her mind. The music flowed from her fingertips, each note sounding crisp and clear despite the jostling of the carriage.

As she played, she let memories flood her mind that she hadn't dared to dwell on for years. It had been easier to pretend they had happened to somebody else.

Memories of her childhood and the lessons her mother had taught swelled within her. She remembered how her mother had always encouraged her to pursue her music, even when her father had wanted her to focus solely on her studies as a princess. She had conspired against these wishes, spending countless hours practicing her violin instead of studying her royal duties.

The Queen had only been too happy to be her accomplice, and her father had never been able to tell his mate no. She had taught Eira the basics, then built her inner catalog with the folk music of Caladrielle and some of her own works. On her worst nights, Eira had allowed herself to think of that music, let it chase away the terrors of an academy ablaze and filled with death.

Now, as she traveled farther from her home and closer to danger, she was grateful for the gift her mother had given her.

The carriage rolled on and Eira's playing became more intense, each note ringing out with a fierce determination. She played with all the passion and strength she could muster, pouring her heart and soul into the music. For a moment, she forgot about the danger that awaited her, the stakes of her mission, and the uncertainty of the future. All that mattered was the music, and the way it made her feel.

Eira glanced to look out of the carriage window as she continued playing and gasped as she saw soft, blue lights twinkling outside the window, seeming to revel in the melody she was playing.

Lindalumë were joyously dancing to her music, following the carriage as it moved onwards. She put her violin down and cracked open one of the windows.

As she leaned out the window, Eira could feel the rush of cool air on her face and the energy of the Lindalumë swirling around her. They were an ethereal and delicate creature, their bodies made up of a shimmering blue light that illuminated the surrounding trees and bushes. She remembered a tale she had heard as a child, that they had been crafted by the very first Queen of Caladrielle and guardians of those pure in heart and spirit. The Lindalumë were also said to have a particular draw to those in their time of need.

They were also fierce lovers of music. 

One of the Lindalumë flew closer to her, its blue light glowing brighter as it approached. Eira could see the intricate details of its wings, which seemed to be made of the finest silk, and the delicate patterns on its body that resembled starlight.

"Who are you?" Eira asked softly, almost afraid to disturb the creature's dance.

The Lindalumë simply responded with a gentle hum, the sound of which seemed to vibrate through Eira's entire body. Then, with amusement, she realized that the creature was hovering impatiently, wanting to hear the music she had been playing once more.

She picked up her violin once again and began to play, the Lindalumë swirling around her in a dance of light and sound. For a moment, she forgot about the dangers ahead and simply enjoyed the magic of the moment. As the carriage continued to move, the Lindalumë followed, darting through the trees and bushes in a joyful display of light and movement. Eira continued to watch them in wonder, feeling as though they were leading her toward something.