Chapter 7

From the teachings of The Radiant Path, the Book of Resilience, written in the Pure Tongue

Aníron-nín, i nahta ta anwa i nauro, ar i glingal sívë yassen

My spirit, the night may seem endless and dark, but the starlight will guide you.

They continued through the thinned-out forest, the silence broken only by the sound of their footsteps and the occasional rustling of leaves. The moon shone brightly overhead as Eira walked beside Monty, feeling the weight of his words and the gravity of their situation.

Monty continued to give Eira advice on how to navigate through the Glacial Spine. "The terrain can be treacherous, and the weather is unpredictable," he said. "I hope you have warm clothes in your pack and enough provisions to last a day."

Eira adjusted her pack in response and fought the urge to dig through it in confirmation, hoping she had done so as well. She had known that this journey would eventually bring her to the perils of the Glacial Spine, but she and Lynden had agreed there wasn't time to travel through the Silver Pass if she wanted to get to Aerindir's capital in time.

Monty began to hum a catchy tune that made Eira want to pull out her violin and accompany him. "What's that tune?" she asked, smiling.

Monty grinned. "Oh, just a little ditty my mom used to sing to me when I was a hatchling. It's about a dragon who couldn't breathe fire but could sing like a bard."

Eira groaned. "Well, I hope you don't start singing on our journey. Even after three ales last night, I still remember how tone-deaf you were. I don't know if I could handle that again."

Monty was deadpan. "Oh, really? I seem to remember you playing along heartily and singing along, or was that a different violinist?"

Eira sputtered, then crossed her arms and sighed. "Alright, fine. Maybe I did join in a little bit. But that doesn't mean you should subject me to your singing again."

Monty laughed, his emerald eyes shining in the sunlight. "Don't worry, I'll spare you. But if we come across any bards on our journey, you might be in trouble."

Eira grinned. "I think I can handle a little bit of bardic music. As long as it's not coming from you, of course."

Monty shrugged. "Suit yourself. But you'll be missing out on some truly epic dragon ballads."

The familiar led her through the forest for several hours until they finally emerged into a clearing. The sun has risen, but as they traveled closer to the chill of the mountains, it began to lose the warmth that she had basked in throughout their travels. In the distance, Eira could see the towering peaks of the Glacial Spine, covered in snow and ice.

"There it is," Monty said, pointing to the mountains. "The border of Caladrielle and Aerindir lies between the mountains. You should be able to make it through in a day if you stay focused and keep moving."