Chapter 10.5

Maintaining her composure, Eira carefully measured her words. "Darian, the Dark King. I had heard rumors of your presence, but to see you here in person... it is quite unexpected."

All Eira could see reflected in those ruby pools as he observed her was someone whose presence was not often unexpected. "Ah, yes, the rumors. They do have a way of spreading, don't they? But tell me, Lydia, how does it feel to be the talk of the servants and court alike? You've managed to capture their attention, quite impressively."

Eira's mind spun with a mix of emotions. She was terrified her fear would surely be palpable, and even worse she worried that it would not seem the fear of a lowly musician caught unaware by a superior, but something more. 

She drew in a measured breath, hoping her voice was steady as she replied, "I am honored to have been allowed to join the Royal Orchestra. It is a chance to showcase my abilities and contribute to the musical legacy of Aerindir."

Darian's lips curled into a knowing smile, his gaze lingering on her. "The pursuit of excellence and legacy. Two concepts that have always fascinated me. They say you possess a remarkable talent, Lydia, to be let into this competition so late. So I figured, why not hear this talent for myself? I must have caught you while you were finishing your preparations, but it was enough for me to sense the depth of your passion and determination. It is a rarity to find such qualities within these walls. I would say that is more admirable than talent, wouldn't you?"

Eira's heart pounded in her chest as she struggled to maintain her composure, to hide the roiling emotions that threatened to consume her. Her eyes broke away from his to her shoes, which she noticed barely contained the trembling of her feet.

"I would suppose so," Eira finally replied after his question had lingered in the air for an awkward pause. "Music has always been my solace, a refuge in a world scarred by darkness. It is the very essence of my being."

Her eyes were still looking at her shoes, the wall, anywhere except where his gaze drilled into her with an intensity that sent shivers down her spine. "Indeed, music has a way of illuminating the shadows, of offering solace and escape. Perhaps we are not so different, you and I."

A flicker of vulnerability passed through Eira's eyes, and she felt indignation rise before she could stamp it down. Her whisper almost sounded like a hiss as she replied, "While music can be a unifying force, the melodies I create are not meant for someone like you."

Darian's smile deepened, but a hint of shock flickered across his features, replaced by a more probing expression. "Interesting choice of words," he mused. "I can't help but wonder what I've done to earn such a response from a talented musician. Perhaps you'd care to enlighten me on what stands between us and the harmony you seem so reluctant to share?"

Eira crossed her arms, a subtle tremor betraying her attempt at cool ambivalence. She finally returned her eyes to his, masking the fear that lurked beneath. "You're the one who sought me out after a long day, without warning. No musician appreciates being ambushed, especially by someone with an agenda."

Darian leaned in slightly, a glint of curiosity in his eyes. "Agenda? That's an intriguing word choice. I assure you, my intentions are purely musical."

Eira surprised herself as her gaze remained steady. "Musical or not, a surprise encounter can be unsettling."

Darian's eyes lingered on Eira, his expression softening. "I didn't mean to unsettle you. Your music speaks volumes, and I wanted to express my appreciation."

Eira clenched her jaw, her fingers tightening around the edges of the sheet music she held. She forced a tight-lipped smile. "Appreciation or something else?"