Chapter 2

From the teachings of The Radiant Path, the Book of Hubris, written in the Pure Tongue

Arweniel, sí tanna i mornie, ar sí tanna i maitimo

My maiden, accept the darkness, and accept the forgiveness.

After the incident with the broken spell, Eira was banned from the palace library for a few weeks. The librarian had even made sure to go out of his way to include some choice words about how flammable books were.

As if she didn't already know that.

So, Eira found herself with plenty of free time the next day, which she planned to spend practicing her combat training with Freya and Fëandil after her courtly lessons. Her days began always early in the morning as a lady-in-waiting.

Today she rose before the sun had risen and began to prepare for the day ahead. Her embroidery or lace. She stood in front of her armoire, her eyes scanning through her collection of dresses. Her fingers ran over the different fabrics, considering the feel of each one against her skin. Finally, she settled on a deep red velvet gown with gold embroidery, loving the way the fabric of this particular dress flowed around her as she moved. 

Slipping into it, she moved over to her vanity to begin the delicate task of styling her hair. She meticulously arranged the upper half of her white hair into a bun, her fingers deftly weaving the strands into a neat coil. Then she pulled out a few pieces of hair from the lower section and began braiding them.

She studied her reflection in the mirror, taking note of her translucent lashes and the crescent scar that intersected the arch of her pale left eyebrow. She considered her next move. Would a touch of kohl around her eyes be too much? 

In the end, she opted for a light touch of blush on her cheeks, bringing a subtle flush to her otherwise pale complexion. Satisfied with her appearance, Eira grabbed her jewelry box and began to select a few delicate pieces to complete her ensemble.

After a final inspection in her full-length mirror, Eira allowed herself a sly smile. She looked stunning, though she supposed she always did. With a flick of her hair and a final adjustment of her jewelry, Eira strode out of her room and into the bustling halls of the palace.

Her dancing lessons were particularly rigorous. She had to master the delicate steps of the courtly dances. Her music lessons were equally demanding, and she had to spend hours practicing the violin, harpsichord, and singing in front of her instructor. 

Though grueling, this was easily Eira's favorite part of her courtly responsibilities.

The most challenging part of her routine was the art of conversation. Snark and banter came to her as second nature but were unfortunately frowned upon in court. As a lady in such a powerful court, she was expected to be well-versed in a wide range of topics, from politics and philosophy to art and literature. She had to be able to engage in intrigue and hold her own in any conversation.