Chapter 8.5

The innkeeper's son was waiting for her in the common room, and he led her to the stables, where she was able to find a sturdy horse to take her to the Argent's Bay.

Eira set off from Dur Feardor early in the morning, the crisp air stinging her cheeks as she rode her horse through the winding mountain paths of the Glacial Spine. The rugged terrain was treacherous, and Eira had to keep a sharp eye out for loose rocks and sudden drops. Her body was stiff and sore from the previous day's journey, but she refused to let that dampen her spirits.

As she rode, Eira played her violin, the sound of her music echoing through the mountains. Her fingers danced across the strings, and the notes she played were filled with the passion and determination that burned within her heart. The music seemed to push her horse forward, and they rode on, the scenery changing from icy mountains to rolling hills and grassy plains.

Eira played all throughout the day, stopping only briefly to rest her horse and take a few bites of bread and cheese from her saddlebag. As the sun began to dip below the horizon, she reached the port town of Argent's Bay, the salty sea air a refreshing change from the crisp mountain air.

She led her horse to a stable and paid for a stall for the night.

The stable boy recommended a cozy tavern down the street where she could get a hot meal and rest for the night. Eira obliged, grateful for a chance to rest her weary body.

As she stepped inside the dimly lit tavern, she was immediately hit by the smell of saltwater and ale. The sailors' voices blended together in a boisterous chorus, and she coudln't help but smile at the scene before her.

She made her way to the bar, ordering a drink and settling in to enjoy the show. The barkeep greeted her with a warm smile. "What brings you here, lass?"

"I've come from Dur Faerdor. I'm traveling to the capital to compete in the King's competition. I'm a violinist."

"Ah, the Tabletop Fiddler has arrived!" he exclaimed.

She must have made quite the impression back in Dur Faerdor. Perhaps Lynden would not even need to put in a good word for her, after all.

Eira smiled, amused at the nickname the villagers had given her. "Lydia, please," she corrected him.

The man seemed as though he wanted to continue their conversation, but the familiar melody of a shanty she learned as a child filled her Eira, and she couldn't resist the urge to join in. She took out her violin and began to play along with the sailors' voices. The sailors looked up in surprise, but they quickly adjusted to the new sound and continued their song with renewed enthusiasm.

As Eira finished the shanty, one of the sailors approached her, a mug of ale in hand.

"You're quite the talented musician," he said, a lopsided grin on his face. "How about playing something for us?"

Eira accepted the challenge with a grin, launching into a traditional folk song. The sailors listen intently, nodding their heads in time with the music. As she finished, another sailor piped up. "That was good, but can you play something a little more challenging?"

Eira lowered her violin, intrigued. "What did you have in mind?"

The sailor grinned wickedly, raising his own banjo. "A musical duel. You and me, trading off playing until one of us can't keep up anymore."

Eira bared her teeth at him. "You're on."

The raucous cheers of the sailors filled the tavern as Eira and the sailor faced off in a musical duel. Eira's eyes were focused on her opponent, her fingers flying across the strings of her violin with astonishing speed and precision.