Chapter 13

From the teachings of The Radiant Path, the Book of Blades, written in the Pure Tongue

Adaer erin naun gwaew, banno i thind dôr ad

Before striking the Serpent, discern the rhythm of its hiss.

The ice that had bound Freya's feet began to recede, melting away under Fëandil's careful manipulation of his icy magic. With a gentle touch, he released his sister, and they leaned against a sturdy tree trunk, their bodies seeking respite from the intensity of their recent battle. The cool forest air whispered through the branches, a soothing balm against their weary souls.

Monty's green eyes were shining like beacons of truth as he stood before them, his posture resolute. "I was tasked by Lynden, the advisor to the king, to guide Eira to the Aerindir border," Monty revealed, his voice steady. "Her mission was to infiltrate the castle and retrieve the Loréil Tome, a powerful artifact of ancient knowledge. She received direct instructions from Lady Sif herself, the goddess of wisdom and strategy."

Freya swore as she absorbed the weight of Monty's words. A mixture of emotions swirled within Freya—pride for Eira's bravery, worry for her safety, and a twinge of hurt at not being included in her plans.

"Why didn't she tell us?" Freya's voice quivered her tone a mix of betrayal and confusion. "We could have helped her, protected her."

Monty's eyes softened, his bony hands clasping together. "She didn't share the details of her mission because it demanded the utmost secrecy. Eira believed that trust was paramount, and she couldn't risk compromising the safety of the mission or endangering those closest to her. She made this choice out of love and concern for all of you."

The words resonated deep within Freya's heart, settling the turmoil that churned within her. She took a steadying breath, her voice filled with a newfound resolve. "Alright, Monty. Say that we trust that you have Eira's best interests at heart. Tell us everything. What happened after she left here?"

Monty's green eyes blazed with anger as he recounted the events that unfolded after they bid Eira farewell. "The day before I left her at the Aerindir border, we were ambushed by a Hindoloth, a dark creature of the shadows. Lynden had taken precautions and donned a glamour for Eira, but I believe these creatures can still sense her true power. We managed to escape the creature before anything horrible could happen, and she continued her journey. However, I worry about her safety in the Aerindir castle, though it is grand and fortified, is not entirely safe. There are shadows within those walls that hunger for power."

Fëandil's fists clenched. "So, Eira is in danger, both from those inside the castle and from these dark creatures?"

Monty nodded, his voice laden with concern. "Yes, that is my fear. The Aerindir castle is a labyrinth of intrigue and danger. As I stated, I was not allowed to follow Eira into the Aerindir border. However, my binding words from Lynden were to 'Protect Eira,' and I believe that by aiding you, I am fulfilling my duty." A lazy, bony smile stretched across his skeletal face as he continued, "After all, Lynden never said I couldn't follow someone else into Aerindir."