The Murder of Heather Reece ('Indigo')

t/w heroin mention, necky go snappy

(Heather, photographed by an unknown photographer, at a 1964 Los Angeles concert)July 4th, 1939 - July 5th, 1966

July 4th, 1939 - July 5th, 1966

SOLVED

Heather Meadow Reece, also sometimes known by the stage name Indigo, was an Australian singer, an icon of the psychedelic era, and was the wife of fellow psychedelic musician, Joseph Jonas.

Born in Melbourne, Australia, Heather was raised by, what she described as, 'the most chill parents you could possibly imagine'. She grew up with a very similar mindset to her parents and began modeling in her early teens and became very well known in the Melbourne area. It was also around this time she took up music.

A twenty-one, she married a fellow musician, Joseph Jonas, and a few months afterwards, they adopted a baby girl named Dream Hannah Jonas. Admittedly, not much is known about Heather and Joseph's personal life. She spent several years, living her life, and released three studio albums throughout her life.

Fourth Dimension - 1961
Really Aggressive Rain - 1963
Indigo Moon - 1965

Today, Heather is best remembered for her song Elizabeth's a Liar from Really Aggressive Rain. At the time of her death, she was working on her fourth studio album, rather ironically named, Kicked Buckets. The album was later released in 1982 by her daughter, Dream, who finished it, along with help from Lavanda Mariana, lead singer of Sunshine Wasteland, who would die after a heroin overdose in October of that year.

On tour with her husband in January 1966, Heather had an affair with a roadie, Janice Ford. They continued on in secret for a month, before being found out by another roadie, Hester Williams. For several months, there was a huge scandal, though, surprisingly, Joseph and Heather didn't divorce. Reports vary on whether or not Janice and Heather continued on with their affair after it was made public.

Anyway, fast forward to July 5th, 1966. A friend of Heather, Taylor Henderson, went to Janice's Melbourne estate, and let herself in, as the door was open. When Taylor went in, she saw that several of Heather's things had been knocked over and she went into Heather's bedroom, she saw Heather's dead body, her neck snapped. She filed a police report and the first two suspects were Janice and Joseph.

Janice was cleared on account of being in Adelaide and Joseph was cleared on account of being in Los Angeles, with Dream.

For six months, her murder remained unsolved, and the police had no leads until one day, Edward Jonas, Joseph's older brother and Heather's brother-in-law, went into the Melbourne police station and confessed to her murder, saying he did it because he was angry that she cheated on Joseph. He was promptly arrested and died in prison in 2002, following a heart attack.

May Heather Reece rest in peace.