Beth Doe

{true crime tuesday}
{I know it's monday but counterpoint shut the fuck up}

facial reconstructions of Beth Doe made by NCMEC in 2015Discovered December 20th, 1976

Discovered December 20th, 1976

SOLVED

Beth Doe is a formerly unidentified body.

On December 20th, 1976, the dismembered body of a woman was discovered in three separate suitcases along the Lehigh River in White Haven, Pennsylvania. She had been carrying a nine month female fetus at the time of her death. Her nose, breasts and ears were severed and have never been found. She had been strangled, shot in the back of the neck {post mortem} and had been sexually assaulted. As for an identity, they were unable to establish one. She was as such nicknamed Beth Doe, though it's unclear as to why they called her Beth Doe as compared to the regular Jane Doe, as I couldn't find why they called her that.

The suitcases she'd been found in were believed to have fallen 300 feet from a car traveling west. She was between 4'11 and 5'4 in height, was 140 to 150 pounds (due to her pregnancy), and her shoulder length hair was dark brown. She was buried in 1983, after remaining unidentified for seven years. A multitude of missing girls were ruled out as the decedent.

In September 2019, police received a tip that Beth Doe could be Madeline "Maggie" Cruz, a runaway foster child from New York who had run away. Last anyone heard of her, she had called a friend, requesting money, claiming she was pregnant. Later that month, police confirmed her to be alive and well and it was back to square one.

Finally, on March 31st, 2021, forty-four years, three months, and eleven days after the discovery of her body, Beth Doe was announced to have been identified as fifteen year old Evelyn Colon. Additionally, her killer, her then boyfriend, Luis Sierra, was made public after charges were filed. Luis was nineteen when he killed Evelyn.

Due to her being pregnant, Evelyn's parents, who both died before her identification, allowed her to get an apartment with Luis and in December of 1976, they moved away from that apartment and in January of 1977, Luis sent a letter, stamped in Connecticut, in Spanish to the Colons saying that all was well, Evelyn had given birth to a baby boy, and that she'd contact them if they needed anything. They did not initially report her missing as they believed she was safe with Luis. After a few years of no contact, they attempted to report her as missing, but, due to the letter, police refused to file the report.

Luis Sierra was released on bail in 2022 and he never gave any reason as to why he killed Evelyn. Evelyn's daughter has been posthumously named Emily Grace Colon.

May Evelyn Colon and Emily Colon rest in peace.

a photo of Evelyn