The Kidnapping of Lucy Weaving

a photo of Lucy, and her mother, Carolyn, taken four days before Lucy's disappearanceLived: January 12th, 1970 - August 14th, 1991Missing: February 14th, 1979 - January 1st, 1986

Lived: January 12th, 1970 - August 14th, 1991
Missing: February 14th, 1979 - January 1st, 1986

SOLVED

Lucy Michelle Weaving was an American girl who went missing from her Alexandria home.

Lucy was born the second of sixth children in Alexandria, Virginia. By all accounts, she had a regular childhood. She was a sweet girl, a great big sister, a well behaved daughter, and a good student. On May 14th, 1979, Lucy went out to walk to her friend's house, which was a few streets over. When she didn't come back, her mother, Carolyn, called the house where Lucy should have been. The family said she never came by.

So, Lucy was reported missing. Police would search for her until dropping the case in December 1982. Even then, her family continued to look for her. Her younger siblings talked about their experience growing up, how they grew up watching their parents worry. Every meal, they prayed for Lucy's safe return. Every Sunday in Church, the congregation prayed for Lucy's safe return. Every January 12th, they celebrated Lucy's birthday.

Finally, after nearly seven years of searching, Lucy, now fifteen, about to be sixteen, was found. During the fireworks at a New Years party, Lucy escaped her kidnapper, Wesley Finley. She flagged down a car and went to the Norfolk police, explaining everything. Her parents were contacted and she was reunited with them. Wesley Finley went on the run, sparking a nationwide manhunt. Finally, Wesley was found in Chicago in May 1986.

Wesley was murdered by a fellow inmate, Elliott Arlington, just two days after Lucy's death.

While she was kidnapped, Lucy claims to have been pregnant, but miscarried each time, due to Wesley's abuse.

After being brought home, there was an obvious change in Lucy's behavior. She, very often, threatened to hurt her family or herself. Lucy would be in and out of psychiatric wards for the rest of her life.

"I found it very scary," Vivian Weaving, the youngest Weaving child, said in a 2013 documentary. "I was barely three when Lucy was kidnapped, so I didn't have very good memories of her, if any. But I'd heard so much about her, how kind she was, all that. But this was nothing like what I'd heard. I was ten, I didn't understand what the hell was happening."

"It's not that I didn't expect the change, I knew that if we found her, she'd be different," Carolyn Weaving, Lucy's mother, said in a 2013 documentary. "I just...I don't think I expected a change that drastic."

Lucy never moved out of her parents house, living there until her early death. They took care of her and she did help out around the house but still exhibited violent and suicidal behavior. Carolyn and Tyler Weaving very rarely left Lucy alone in the house.

In the early morning of August 14th, 1991 the couple was awoken by a gunshot. They quickly ran to Lucy's room, where they found her dead by suicide. Her note simply read 'I love you all and I'm sorry'.

Lucy was buried on August 20th, 1991. Her funeral amassed nearly five hundred guests.

May Lucy Weaving rest in peace.

the last photo of Lucy, taken by her younger brother, Evan, the day before her death