Chapter 25~ In Loving Memory of...

Song== Hello by Evanescence

Picture== Peace <3

"...If I smile and don't believe

Soon I know I'll wake from this dream

Don't try to fix me, I'm not broken

Hello, I'm the lie living for you so you can hide

Don't cry..."

CHAPTER 24~ In Loving Memory of…

                Death…

            I was unsure as to what was acutely expected on the other side of a lifeline. Would the soul lift up to the heavens, or simply be dragged gruesomely into purgatory? I still didn’t know…

Although the world around me was completely aphotic, I was still mildly aware of my body; the sensations around me, feeling, touch, smell. Was that normal? If my end had finally been breached, then why was I still in the same agony I was while conscious?

            Something brushed gingerly over my hand, creating a feeling of warm bliss that torrefied my sensory nerves. I winced internally, my mind plunging in and out of this unsettling hypnagogic state—one second my soul and body became one, then in another they would part. Leaving hollowness in between as my memories evanesced with every departure.

            “Nena…perdoname…” Little girl…forgive me… A soft voice cooed, just as feather-like as a caress to the mind; my lips tingled—of Anticipation? For what?

            I didn’t have much time to ponder it as my soul detached once more, and the memory dissipated. My soul began to float in air as I lolled myself into this oblivion that held no end. Rocking me, as a mother would to her newborn, cooing sweet nothings into my ear. Dark promises of peace and freedom. I smiled to myself, fain to accept my fate. That’s when a brand new world began to morph around me, bright as the sun yet gentle to my eyes. I blinked in awe as I focused on my surroundings; a valley of lush greens, from tall oak trees to the cleanly cut grass that molded beneath my bare feet. I wiggled my toes, feeling the prickly grass tickle my skin, and then I lifted my hands to examine them. My held a radiant glow, still maintaining to the crisp tan I always owned—no scratches or bruises. My smile broadened and I brought my attention to the rest of myself. I wore a royal blue sundress, strapless and sassy, but aside from that, I was plain and neutral.

            “Elaine!” an infantine voice called out. Instinctively, I pivot my attention to the sound of my name being called, as I did so, I nearly toppled over when I came face to face with my little brother, Bryan. His petite, cherubic features standing out against the mature surroundings. He wore attire of identical color as my own, only his was an adorable blue tuxedo suit, accommodated with a matching bowtie and cufflinks. Staring at him without the slightest bit of askance, I took an involuntary step towards him; my eyes flooding with tears.

            “Bryan…” I croaked out, emotion balling up into a remora at the base of my throat. “Bryan…”

He giggled and skipped over to me, his short little arms spread out wide for an embrace. I hunched over to, opening my own arms to collect him briskly as he reached me. As I held him to me in a ravenous hold, picking him up off the ground and constricted my arms, burying my face in his neck and sobbing out his name over and over in a ceaseless chant.

            “Elaine…don’t cry…” his chubby hands stroked softly at the side of my head, smoothing down my hair and sending me into another fit of sobs. He felt so real! I needed to wake up and feel the real him. I needed the reassurance that he was ok and for this not to just be a fantasy.