Chapter 10~It's for the best...

Remember to vote! This story is in the Watty Awards and could use all the support it could get ;)

Girl to the right is Elaine xD

and of course a legit song to go along with the chappy <3

Enjoy!!!

            The next morning while boarding the bus, I noticed Nahuel’s presence was absent. A wave of great relief surged through my body, allowing my ride to go accessible and leisurely. So I settled back in my seat with renewed tranquil as the bus transported me to the nearing destination. My mind didn’t reel this time, no, it remained blank—not a thought in sight. Not about home, nor Izzy; it was as if a void had developed in my head, keeping me from the acrid pain of homesickness.

            All too soon did it the bus halt at the back entrance of the school, it left me little time to enjoy the bliss of my numbness. With a sigh, I tugged my bag over my shoulder before filing out the bus and into the icy winter of nature. I picked up my pace, falling into step—to my complete surprise—beside Aldana.

Her lips quirked into an easy smile as she acknowledged me, “hi, Elaine, funny seeing you hear. You ride the bus?”

I nodded, staring at a small rip on my jeans—right above the knee—which I knew wasn’t there before.

            “Nice, which bus?”

I continued to find nonexistent interest in the small rip, “D905, I think,”

She laughed, a thin wholehearted laugh, “That’s so cool! I go on D904, which drops me off at The Block. It should only be a mile south from where you live. That’s a good thing by the way; it means you live in a safer neighborhood.”

My eyes snapped back up to meet her light ones and I felt a shiver reverberate through me; not from the cold this time. “Yeah, good thing.”

She averted her gaze briskly, “You don’t have to worry about it, Elaine. If you don’t mess with The Blood, they don’t mess with you. No need to live in fear.”

            “What makes you think I’m living in fear?” I scoffed, not being entirely truthful, since this whole gang problem caused my nightmares to flare up at night, “besides, what makes you think I was even thinking about that stupid gang, you make it seem like it’s the only thing that I should be aware of here.”

She shrugged, “No need to be trippin’ over it, I was just lookin’ out for ya.”

My wide eyes raked over her face, and all I could make out was that she seemed genuinely hurt. That made guilt pile up in my chest.

Great…just peachy.

I let out a long breath, white heated vapor shooting out into the frigid air. “You’re right. I’m sorry, and thanks. It’s nice to know there’s someone here that cares about my well being.”

She brightened up, “of course I care! You’re part of the family here now. And besides, I’m sure I’m not alone, you have your parents that care for you, and Justin seems to care for you too, even though you’ve just met.”

We stepped through the doors just then and I began to peel away toward the library when she suddenly got hold of my upper arm, “Where are you heading?”

I eyed her hand gripping me with unease, “The library, why?”

She shook her head, ushering me down the opposite direction with her, “oh no you don’t. Elaine quit being so anti-social and live a little.”