Chapter 7~ Heights make me Hyperventilate

To the right is a picture of Christian (the officer)>>>>>>

Also, the song fits more toward what happens near the end of the chapter. Or at least the lyrics do.

***I've become so numb... I can't feel you there...become so tired, so much more aware****

There were no words that could describe how distraught I am at the moment. And to make matters worse my little escort to my parents failed to enlighten me with a simple fact that he was to escort me the whole way to Texas; where my parents are waiting for my arrival.

            “You know, you really don’t have to come with me on the plane.” I started, “it’s just a waste of time and money to come and go just to make sure I get there safely. Why can’t you just call my parents and say I’m on my way.”

Beside me, Christian twisted in his seat. He had been highly interested in a magazine that was handed to him while boarding the plane by an attendant. His clear eyes sparkled slightly before he spoke.

            “Oh, sure I know for a fact that you can arrive safely with no problem. What worries me is if you’ll actually get there.”

I feinted hurt, placing a hand over my chest, “Why officer, I wouldn’t dare do such a devious deed.”

He arched a brow, a low chuckle rumbled up his torso, “Right, because you are such an angelic girl.”

            “The sarcasm wasn’t necessary” I snapped, turning my attention to the open window beside me.

Did I ever mention I am deathly afraid of heights?

At the moment the cotton puff balls that we call clouds roam closer to the plane in a silent threat. I swallowed hard, dropping my eyes to the ground bellow. It was so far away, just a green speck to my perspective vision. Yet, the plane continued to travel onward, not bothered by anything. The purring vibration of the engine tickled the soles of my shoes, the feeling relaxed the muscles of my legs however it refused to reach my agitated stomach—which continued to churn nauseously.

What is one of the engines over heat? Or a suicidal bird decides to slam its frail little body right into the pilot’s window, spooking him out while making him lose control of the plane. Then we all spiral down to our horrible death!

            “You doing okay there, Elaine? You look a bit green.” My eyes flickered over to Christian, his brows knitted together in worry. I let out a heavy breath, wiping my sweaty forehead with the back of my hand.

            “Yeah, I’m good. Just not much of a fan of heights is all.” I croaked before swallowing hard. Suddenly my abdominal heaved, my palm smacked over my mouth.

No, No, No!

It’s not even possible for me to vomit; I haven’t eaten since last night!

            “Elaine, calm down. Take deep breaths.” Christian’s deep voice cooed beside me, his big hand rubbing circles on my back.

Breathe? Breathe?! I can’t!

My chest constricted, not allowing oxygen into my lungs. My stomach continued to dry heave.

            “Elaine, listen to my voice and concentrate on that.”

            “If you…are trying to…distract me…” I wheezed, “It’s not…working.”

I witnessed as his lips stretched into a crooked smile, “you sure it’s not.”

I attempted to snort; only it came out more like a raspy gag. Did this plane get smaller or is it just me? The air seems thicker, hotter. Good, God. I am going to die!