crush

sorry for the long wait for an update, been super busy with deadlines 😩 i have like a month of straight assignments so i apologise in advance if my updates take longer

enjoy x

(2019 words)

'So, be honest with me.' Emily said, placing her wine glass down and looking at you intently from the other side of the table in the restaurant. 'How are you feeling about joining the team alongside your training?'

'Good.' You said, searching the air as you considered it. 'It's an amazing opportunity.' You deduced.

'It is.' Emily said. She looked as if she was going to continue talking but stopped.

'But...?' You asked, causing Emily to flick her eyes up to you realising you'd noticed her reservations.

'I mean, we'll see more of each other...' Emily started, pursing her lips, '...but it won't exactly be quality time together.'

'Yeah.' You said, getting onto the same page as her. 'That's true.'

'Not that you shouldn't take this opportunity at all. The extra experience is well worth your while, and the team certainly seem eager to welcome you with open arms.' Emily said, smiling cheekily at that last comment.

'Is that right?' You giggled shyly.

'Hmm...' Emily confirmed, running his fingers up and down the stem of her wine glass, 'Tara certainly seems impressed with you.' She said as she brought the wine glass up to her lips and eyed you.

'Are you jealous?' You asked teasingly, raising at eyebrow at her.

'Maybe a little.' Emily gulped her wine back. 'I told you I don't like sharing.' You smiled at that, looking down at your own wine glass now.

'You never have to worry about that.' You said, and by the time you looked up you were met with a warm smile from Emily.

'Aside from Tara though, I heard the team gossiping after you'd left.' Emily said. 'Everyone was very impressed with your theories, JJ especially with her having been looking through the same evidence as you and still not having caught it herself.'

'JJ's nice.' Was all you could think to say. You suddenly felt too shy to accept the compliment.

'You think so?' Emily asked.

'Yeah. She seems sweet, but so badass at the same time.' You replied.

Emily laughed a little more than you expected at that.

'Yeah, yeah. That she is.' Emily agreed.

Emily fell silent for a second, but her eyes darted around the table between you both as if she was thinking about something.

'I used to have a crush on her, you know.' Emily finally admitted.

'Really?!' You asked, unable to hide your surprise. Emily nodded.

'Yeah. It was silly, really.' She said, almost sadly.

'Is JJ...?' You started to ask.

'No.' Emily replied, knowing immediately what you meant. 'Well not that I know of, anyway. She's been with Will since our early days in the job.'

'So what happened between you two?' You asked, sensing there was more to this story.

'Nothing.' Emily replied bluntly. You looked at her confused, prompting her to explain. 'Like I said, it's silly. JJ and I used to be very close, friends-wise, and...' Emily searched the air in front of her for some kind of explanation, '...I guess I just fell for her.'