miscommunication

TW: self-inflicted injury

this chapter jumps around in perspectives a little but hopefully it's still easy to follow

lines in italics only are thoughts (but sometimes i use italics in speech as emphasis)

enjoy x
(3243 words)

emily's pov:

Emily took one last look at the entrance to your apartment, now filled with police officers and detectives, before finally turning to leave.

She headed towards her car, half-debating driving straight to the safe house to see you. She managed to talk herself out of it and opted instead to pull over somewhere in her car on the way back to work to call you.

—————————————————————————
your pov:

'Hey.' You said down the phone, unsure of which mood you'd find Emily in.

'Y/n?' Emily said, her voice giving away how fragile she was.

'Emily? What's wrong?' You asked, sitting up in bed.

'Something's happened.' She squeaked.

'What is it?' You asked.

'The receptionist from your building... the one we couldn't track down...' Emily paused as the image of Laura Gallagher flashed into her mind.

'What about her, Emily?' You questioned.

'She's... dead.' Emily finally said.

'What?' You asked.

'I went to your apartment, Y/n.' Emily started to explain.

'She was there?' You checked.

'Yes.' Emily confirmed. 'In your bed.'

Shock overwhelmed you completely.

'Y/n?' Emily checked after you'd gone quiet.

'I don't... I don't understand.' You said finally.

'Me neither.' Was all Emily could say.

'Are you okay? Did you go alone?' You asked, feeling extremely aware of how excluded you were from it all. How there'd be officers in your apartment right now, investigating it.

'Yes.' Emily half-replied.

'And are you okay?' You repeated.

'I'll be fine.' Emily sniffed. 'I just needed to hear your voice.'

'Well I'm here now. I'm right here.' You reassured her.

'Uh, this is exactly why I didn't want Tara coming anywhere near you.' Emily complained.

'What do you mean?' You asked.

'To the safe house. She shouldn't have put your location in danger like that. This Unsub's not messing around.' Emily ranted.

'Yeah, well we all know that...' you defended Tara, '...but she was actually really sweet.'

'What?' Emily asked.

'She just... I don't know.' You stopped yourself, suddenly realising that talking about how nice it was to have someone to comfort you probably wasn't what Emily wanted to hear right now.

'No, go on.' Emily encouraged you.

'It was nice to see someone.' You admitted. 'I don't know, it's just lonely here I guess.'