necklace

thank you to those of you that have been waiting patiently for an update ! still got about a month of straight assignments left, but i'm hoping to try and keep on top of the story as much as i can.

hope ur enjoying it !

(italics are your thoughts)

(3347 words)

The following day you couldn't wait for work. As Emily had warned, you hadn't ended up hearing from her at all since leaving her the previous night.

You wanted more than anything to at least send her a text to thank her for the necklace, but you couldn't risk someone seeing her phone if you did.

She'd told you that up until now she'd had you down in her phone under a different name. You never really texted or called each other anyway, but on the off-chance you needed her, she wanted to make sure you could get hold of her easily.

But now that you were about to join the team on this case, there was no way Emily could get away with having you down under a name other than your own. You'd be accompanying the team in the field, and the last thing you both needed was for Emily's hands-free to pop up with a random name and for the team to hear you chirping down the phone afterwards.

You'd been avoiding thinking about the consequences of having to keep your relationship with Emily a secret. After all, you were both managing it just fine. In a workplace full of profilers, you were both doing your absolute best at covering it up.

But more recently, especially since you and Emily had agreed to only see each other every other day now, you'd been unable to avoid the doubts creeping in.

How are we ever going to make this work if we can't tell anybody about us? Is there even any point in dating if we're never going to get further than the four walls of both of our apartments and the same one restaurant nobody would find us in?

You kept trying to bat away the thoughts every time they came, but you knew it wouldn't be long before you were drowning in them. You were just hoping that if you ignored them long enough, by the time they started to take over, you'd have spent long enough with Emily that your anxiety about the whole situation wouldn't scare her off.

This was what you were reassuring yourself with anyway, as you brushed and then tossed your hair around to create an intentionally messy style.

Shit, I need to leave.

Grabbing your keys and dropping them into your handbag, you left your apartment and headed for the elevator.

Walking past the front desk, you noticed the same woman from the previous night at the end of her nightshift. Her eyes dropped down to your necklace.

'It looks lovely!' She said with a smile.

'Thank you!' You smiled back, as you continued your walk out of the building and towards your car.

As you climbed into your car, your phone vibrated in the pocket of your blazer. You pulled the car door shut and checked it quickly.

Seb: Are you in yet?

You: Just setting off now.

Seb: Okay, I'll wait in the car park for you!

You: Okay :)

The drive to work was as frustrating as ever. The traffic was always awful in the hour before 9am, but you figured you had a long day ahead of you, jumping straight into a shift with the team after training, so you hadn't wanted to set off any earlier.