secrets weigh heavy

i have a trial shift for a new job today and i'm shitting it 😃 feel like there's always something going on the day i post !

sentences in italics are thoughts/memories
enjoy x

(3744 words)

'Okayyy...' Emily pushed the door to her apartment open and held it there to let you through.

You took a few steps in before Emily switched the lights on, shut the door behind her and dropped your bags down onto the hallway floor.

'Do you want to pop through and get comfy on the sofa?' She asked. 'I'm going to go and find us some menus.'

'Sure.' You replied, walking through to the living room whilst Emily made her way to the kitchen.

When you walked into the room a feeling washed over you; a feeling like none of this was real.

The hospital was all you'd known for around a week. Before that it was the underground room you never thought you'd escape.

Actually, when you thought about it, you'd not truly felt settled ever since you moved here. You'd been constantly flitting between your apartment and Emily's.

You realised, stood here in Emily's living room, that there was aspects to this room you hadn't even noticed before. Like how none of her cushions matched and yet they all seemed to work so well together. How the remote to the television was placed next to it, more like an ornament than something she used.

Everything seems so different.

'Is everything alright?' You heard behind you.

You quickly stopped staring from where you were stood and turned to see Emily approaching you from the side.

'Yeah.' You smiled.

'If you'd be comfier in the bedroom we can eat our takeout in there?' She asked, clearly unsure why you seemed reluctant to sit down.

'No, here's fine.' You said, walking towards the sofa and finding a seat.

Emily followed you and placed the menus on her lap as you lifted your feet up and crossed them on the sofa.

'What do you fancy, love?' Emily asked, spreading the menus out so you could see.

I'm not really hungry.

'Pizza sounds good.' You replied.

'Yeah?' Emily checked. 'What topping?'

'I'm happy with plain old cheese, but get whatever you fancy.' You suggested.

'I'm happy with cheese.' Emily said. 'Well...' she bunched the menus back up into a pile and flicked them up in the air in her hand, '...that was a lot easier than I thought it would be!'

You smiled, really trying your hardest to seem fine but you knew you weren't doing a good job.

My stomach feels like a pit. What's wrong with me?

'I'll go and give them a ring.' Emily declared, lingering on your eyes for a second too long before she finally stood up and walked back to the kitchen.

You sat in the living room alone staring at your distorted reflection on the flatscreen TV.

I'm back from the hospital. I'm better. I'm safe, I'm loved, I should be fucking happy. Why am I not fucking happy?!

You inhaled deeply, forcing yourself to hold back the tears you knew were coming. That familiar feeling in your throat built up; the one that feels like a tap's about to be turned and the whole room's going to overflow.