a proper goodbye

these assignments are killing me 😭 i just wanna write my silly little fanfiction all the time

speaking of which, it's perhaps a bit of a niche fanfic but would anyone be interested in a christine mulgrew x reader storyline (waterloo road)? trying to plan what i might write after this book and christine looks so much like emily i couldn't help but think of that. let me know !

enjoy x

(2877 words)

'I've got something for you.' Emily said as you both finished getting dressed.

'Oh yeah?' You asked, doing up your blazer. 'It had better not be a necklace.'

Emily looked up at you through her eyebrows as she opened one of the drawers in her desk.

'Too soon?' You asked, pulling your mouth into a nervous smile.

Emily shook your comment away and pulled out a box from her desk.

'Here.' She said, holding it out for you.

'A phone?' You asked, seeing the picture on the box. 'I've got a phone.'

'Yes, but not one it's safe to have frequent contact with me on.' Emily reminded you.

You looked up at her and back down at the box.

'Right.' You said bluntly.

'I wish we didn't have to be so secretive too, Y/n.' Emily empathised. 'But just to be on the safe side whilst you're under protection, we can't have you calling or texting me on your number.'

'No. I guess we can't.' You said sadly as you kept looking at the box. You were worried if you looked up you'd give away how much you were worried about being alone in a safe house.

'I don't know whether you'll get to keep your phone or not anyway. They might give you a new one just in case anybody's tracking you.' Emily informed you.

Your eyebrows instinctively rose at the thought of that.

This is really starting to all feel real now.

'But just in case our Unsub tries to contact you on whichever phone you have, I don't want anyone to find anything about us on there.' Emily explained.

'Sure.' You replied.

'Y/n...' Emily started, noticing you'd gone quiet and were avoiding eye contact.

'An iPhone. You really went all out, huh?' You observed, trying to distract Emily from getting you to talk about your feelings.

'It's my old one.' Emily replied quietly. 'I thought if it ever came to explaining why there'd been calls from my phone to my old number I'd just say I gave it to a family member or something.'

'So um...' you kept trying to find new things to ask Emily so she could do most the talking, 'You just wanna call when we can?'

'Well, I was thinking we could FaceTime.' Emily said, searching your face for an idea of how you were feeling. 'I'd feel...'

You finally looked up at Emily as she paused, concerned that she was struggling to talk about her feelings even whilst you were avoiding it altogether.

'...weird not seeing you.' Emily finished.

'But you're going to be busy with cases most the time, right?' You checked.

'Yeah but that doesn't mean I won't call you every free moment I get.' Emily replied defensively.

You nodded again, before feeling yourself tearing up.