Alone

Standing in the middle of the room, I watched as my maids and ladies roamed inside my chambers. Setting vases on tables near the window, my nightstands, and vanity. Straightening my back, I relax in my night garments as I intertwine my hands in front of me. They place roses, of only 3 colors around my chambers. White, Pink, and Red roses with either silver or gold vases. As they left, each one of them would bow their heads, some picked up their dresses and curtsied in front of me.

"Would you like anything else, my Queen." A fair skin girl asks before she leaves.

"No, thank you." I smiled.

When she closes my doors, I grab my night garments and take a step off the carpet. The dark wooden floors were freshly washed, as I could see my reflection clearly. I stood on the cold floor and looked at all the fresh roses. Wrapping my robe around my small waist, I walk to the 10ft window, which is draped with maroon curtains. The horsemen below me prepare to leave into the woods, filling their carriages with goods and food for trade.

"Good, you're up. Let's get you ready." Talia said as she walked into my chambers.

She was a fairly strange woman, never talked about her family or her children. Maybe it was the fear that someday my step-mother would use her family as leverage. But I wouldn't do that to her, I care too much, to see her happy and helping me ready myself for the throne was all I cared about.

I had known her since I was a year old, her mother was one of my mother's ladies, but she died. So my father kept her with us, she was only 12 years older than me, so becoming my lady was an option for her. She was an olive toned Scottish girl, with short black hair, up to her collarbones. Her eyes were a dark blue color, while her rosy lips and cheeks highlighted her beauty.

"You are always staring at me like that, why?" As she unravels my hair, she sets the pins aside.

"Why didn't you ever get married?" Her eyes draw up to mine, but she hesitantly looks down.

"I'm too busy for love..and I'm too busy taking care of you."

Her delicate hands braid my long black hair, joining parts of my hair together.

"You're the only one who should be married, almost of age to become Queen...you're forgetting you need a King by your side."

She gathers my hair behind my shoulders, then reaching over for a diamond encrusted crown inside a black box. She slowly lowers it to my head, as my eyes watch it rest on my hair.

"Perfect." She says.

"Now you're ready for your engagement to Prince Francis." She smiles at me in the mirror.

~

Soldiers stood in every corner of the castle, ladies walked patiently to their areas. Dukes, Knight's and relatives of King Henry and Queen Catherine, watch as I walked down to the grand room.

Walking with a balanced head, and relaxed shoulders, I see Sebastian, Francis's older half-brother, standing near the closed doors. Taking a deep breath, Talia rests her hand on my shoulder.

"Breath, everything will go smoothly." She whispered

The red dress I was wearing suddenly became tighter, I wrapped my arms around my waist, feeling my lungs expand for every breath. I reach up for my locket, running my fingers around the perimeter. The rush of anxiety runs out of my body, and I'm suddenly myself again.

"You alright?" Sebastian asks.

I look up to his icy blue eyes, which dilate when I look at them. His auburn hair brushes to the side of his forehead, while he shows me a concerned smile.