Inquisition

Eliana's POV

Bash and I, enter the undergrounds of the castle and find Jean holding Isabel's daughter.

"Thank you Jean for taking care of her and for keeping it quiet, I'm sorry I can't tell you the mother's name, but a child born out of wedlock..." I say.

"I understand, poor lady she'd be disgraced, but I've kept the baby well hidden in the stables." Jean adds.

"Could you give us a minute alone please?" I asked her.

"Of course, Your Grace."

I place the baby down on a table as Bash and I examine the baby's foot.

"The mark is fading; in a few days it will be gone and we can take her to a convent."

"Meanwhile that little mark will lead to questions we can't answer, what if they put this together with Isabel if they find out she was my cousin once my pagan ties put only me in danger but now imagine the response to a heretic King on the throne we'd both be targets." Bash sighed as I carried the baby in my arms.

"I don't like putting you at risk every day that baby is inside the castle..." Bash says.

"It's going to be alright I've talked to Agnes our wet nurse's mother she's been helping care for the baby, she agreed to take the child to her village for a few days by then the mark will be gone and Agnes can take her to a convent."

"Francis would've offered you a life without these risks."

"We're being careful and we're lucky we only have to protect the baby from servant's gossip. Henry is away in Rome, Catherine is locked in her tower, and you are the Regent." I reassured/

Jean comes back into the room out of breath.

"My lady Henry is back and they say he's brought Medicis with him." Jean blurted.

3rd Person POV

The Queen is clearly unhappy and rather disgusted by her surroundings, she drops her spoon in her bowl she looks up as the door to her cell opens and a guard enters followed by her cousins Pietro and Francesca Medici.

"Oh! my family! Francesca" 

"Oh! Pierto, you got my letters." Catherine says, kissing them both on the cheek.

"I'm horrified my dear," Francesca said, looking around her room.

"I know but now I have you to thank for making this place fit for a human being."

They sit down together as the guards have brought in chairs for them, as well as a bed, chair, and a few other items to make the cell look less like a prison.

"My darling girl we bring mixed tidings; as you urged in your letters our family has thrown its considerable weight against this annulment of your marriage to Henry," Francesca said.

"And were you successful?"

"Yes, under our pressure the Pope refused to see Henry," Pietro said.

"Excellent!"

"So Henry has returned here with the aim of killing you."

"He can't! He has no legal justification!"

"He has accused you of adultery and that's a treasonable offense if found guilty you would pay with..."

A guard entered the room with an object he sets down and pulls off the cover to reveal a chopping block which the Queen stares at with fear in her eyes.